Suggestions For Rio?

SusieExploring

Registered
Next week I'll be traveling to Rio then Isla Grande. Does anyone have any suggestions on what is a must, good places to eat or where not to go?
Thanks!

Next week I'll be traveling to Rio then Isla Grande. Does anyone have any suggestions on what is a must, good places to eat or where not to go?
Thanks!
I would stay in Leblon. Best beaches are in Barra te Tijuca which is further down the road from Leblon. Copacabana of course is a must see but it's usually packed with people, you can get an Agua de Coco (coconut) and enjoy some people watching. You should go to Christ the Redeemer and Sugar loaf mountain. Prainha is another awesome surf beach past Barra de Tijuca which has a rain forest/mountain behind it, although it can be quite dangerous to swim at so make sure you take care. For night time head to Lapa, clubs and bars everywhere. Rio Scenerium is a cool place that will ensure a good night. Casa Rosa is also decent in Laranjaras. Avoid walking alone at night time, don't ever go to an ATM at night - most are closed anyway. Avoid wearing expensive jewelry or anything that might attract attention. Depending on your budget you should try a choasquiria (can't spell it) which is a type of restaurant that brings you all different types of meat.

I've been to Rio in January and really liked the city. Especially in Leblon you will find a ton of good restaurants and bars with a nice vibe. Some of the places I have been to and liked:
- CT Boucherie in Leblon: you order a piece of meat and they will serve a lot of different sides until you explode
- Olympe: fine dining, expensive but its worth it. Food was great and the chef (Claude Troisgros, very famous in Brazil due to his TV shows) came and chatted a bit
- Lagoon: great place to relax as you can sit outside with a view over the lake, drink some cocktails and have a little bite
- Marius, Copacabana: Seafood buffet; the restaurant looks quite extravagant... The food is great but don't eat anything before; the owner will serve until you really can't anymore and unlike many buffet places, they serve a lot of the more expensive seafood (you can ask for example for lobster and they just don't stop bringing it until you reject more).
- Don Camillo, Copacabana: good italian food (yes, you can order muzarella and actually get cheese made out of buffalo milk) and they have days during the week where old italians play live music

Other than the typical tourist locations (sugar loaf, christ, beaches), go to Lapa to get a feel for the nightlife. There is a nice cafe place in a super old, beautiful building downtown which is worth a break. And you should go to a Bar de Cachaca to taste the differences between Brazils national alcoholic drink.

Safety is fine in all touristy areas (I guess similar to B.A. - just don't walk around showing off). My friend who lives in Rio told me that even the favelas changed a lot in recent years, even though I wouldn't go in at night anyway :D

The barrio "Lapa" is really cool and bohemian; most bars are in the area and cheap hotels/hostels. I'd recommend taking a bus and visiting "Cabo Frio", it's not really far and for me it has one of the best beaches in Brazil. Visiting “Petropolis”, just one from Rio, it’s worth it too, a nice town up in the mountains.

Back