Suing in Arg.

JG,I find all this talk of suing extremely negative and a very typical attitude that frankly should be left in the U.S!I live in Scotland and in the UK people only sue each other as a complete last resort and under extreme circumstances. But in the US everybody sues, everybody wants to shaft anybody for anything! Its a total joke! If you've been ripped off or whatever, you learn from it, deal with it and move on and live with the comfort that these "bad human beings" will get whats coming to them eventually.
I'm moving to Argentina in October so I must admit that I don't know first hand on what its like to live there and how the native people behave to their neighbours but I'm guessing you've been targeted because you are a foreigner or that might have at least contributed somewhat? Well this is surely quite likely to happen. And it will continue to happen when you go through the corrupt legal system! So ask yourself, truly, what are your chances of coming out on top? Is it really worth all the stress, anger, pain and worry that will inevitably follow?I would reccommend approaching your situation from a totally different angle and dropping this mentality that clearly doesn't belong in the country you are a guest of.Rob

"robster" said:
JG,I find all this talk of suing extremely negative and a very typical attitude that frankly should be left in the U.S!I live in Scotland and in the UK people only sue each other as a complete last resort and under extreme circumstances. But in the US everybody sues, everybody wants to shaft anybody for anything! Its a total joke! If you've been ripped off or whatever, you learn from it, deal with it and move on and live with the comfort that these "bad human beings" will get whats coming to them eventually.
I'm moving to Argentina in October so I must admit that I don't know first hand on what its like to live there and how the native people behave to their neighbours but I'm guessing you've been targeted because you are a foreigner or that might have at least contributed somewhat? Well this is surely quite likely to happen. And it will continue to happen when you go through the corrupt legal system! So ask yourself, truly, what are your chances of coming out on top? Is it really worth all the stress, anger, pain and worry that will inevitably follow?I would reccommend approaching your situation from a totally different angle and dropping this mentality that clearly doesn't belong in the country you are a guest of.Rob
It sorta sounds to me like you're saying " People should not stand up for themselfs" and " You should just let others walk all over you, they have the right to cause you are a foreigner here ". The man obviously has the will to explore ways to right the wrong and that is only a positive thing. You said and I quote "So ask yourself, truly, what are your chances of coming out on top? Is
it really worth all the stress, anger, pain and worry that will
inevitably follow?", so I'll ask you, do you really believe that he has not asked himself those questions already? And regarding this "country that you are a guest of" line of yours, entering this country does not oblige you to change in any way and when exactly do you think that people should stop considering themselves guests? Should for example second generation immigrants consider themselves guests? Or all Argentinians that have no Indian ancestors? Thinking about such things on a day to day basis will get you far....

I posted the above posts to both share my experience with other expats, an experience I hope none of you will have to experience. In order to protect some of my privacy, i have chosen not to reveal the details of the living Hell i went through for almost a year. You will just have to trust me, i was minding my own business then BOOM with a gun against my head (not a metaphor but a real gun with some 20 feds in the middle of the night), I began a nightmare. I want compensation for this horrible experience and for the thousands of dollars I put out.
My privacy was violated to an extent that I still cant believe. I dont want to post details on the Internet with people I dont know. So to be a little vague, basically I have some poor friends, all from one family, and because of that friendship I was horribly punished and put in harms way. The old ladies who started this, refuse outright to admit they were wrong, now that they have been proven beyond a doubt to have been wrong, they have not appologized and they continue to harrass me in ways you cant imagine.
For those of you who think this is silly, send me privately your home phone numbers and addresses. You wont know what ill do with them and youll have no way of punishing me for what i do with them or be able to clean your name. It wont cost me a cent and the system will never punish me. GET THE POINT now?
i hate these very nasty people and their thuggism circa the last military dictatorship. Ill be will be moving soon. Until then ill live where i want and be friends with whom i want.

"JG" said:
I posted the above posts to both share my experience with other expats, an experience I hope none of you will have to experience. In order to protect some of my privacy, i have chosen not to reveal the details of the living Hell i went through for almost a year. You will just have to trust me, i was minding my own business then BOOM with a gun to my head I began a nightmare. I want compensation for this horrible experience and for the thousands of dollars I put out.
JG, Being an Argentine and having lived nowhere but here (can't compare to other legal systems), I can tell you may have the grounds to file a lawsuit, but I can see two different things in your case: 1) "Juicio civil": Looking for compensation the action of your neighbors caused you economically.2) "Juicio penal": If they intentionally (or unintentionally but as a cause of their action) caused a physical harm to your person (or put your life in danger), you may file a "causa penal", whose punishment is usually time in jail. You may also seek money compensation from that moral damage through the juicio civil.And I'm adding another point: If they life threatened you, you can go and make a police statement (denuncia policial), especially if that "gun to my head" was not a metaphore. Life threats are taken very seriously here, and police statements are valid as evidence for the lawsuit. I can see you don't want to disclose your case, but I could tell you from my local perspective whether I would sue or not.
Gus

I don`t understand why rude comments and mentions of the US were posted above.
Sometimes people need to sue, and that includes here in Argentina. So far, I have achieved some success through law suits here. My ex architect and her hangers on would not have paid me one centavo of what they owed me if I had not sued.
Some law suits could be avoided if the police were more pro active. I have heard, perhaps incorrectly, that Buenos Aires police are not pro active. It would be good if the police were able to solve some of these disputes by penalizing the culprits.

Ok, I apologise for the tone I used above especially if the "gun to the head" scenario was not a metaphor. I didn't realise that your life had been threatened JG and if this is true, then please accept my apologies. It just appeared like a trivial dispute from your original statement.You said "old ladies"? It certainly sounds like an unusual situation!

I don't understand why the writer will not tell his story. There is no sense discussing it on this website if we do not know what has happened.

The gun to the head actually happened to the poster.
While we are on this topic, my advice is not to sue in Argentina unless one expects to get a big return. As in many countries, it is a head ache and there are some lawyers who are not the best.

My husband is an expat and I ´m local, and have a Bachelor in Law. How good is your spanish? Are you ready to wait some years until your trial gets a sentence? The legal system is extremely burocratic. First of all if it is a civil cause you will be called for a ¨mediacion¨ this is an instance prior to the trial itself. For that you will need a mediador, not necessarily a lawyer. At that audience/s It will be pondarated the amount of $ for the damage, if it does not reach the minimum, you cannot sue. If you can, then find a honest lawyer, with years of experience and be ready for years of waiting, time wasting, etc. You still can do it and you have the right to do it, if you are a legal resident or are on a tourist visa that is still valid. I don´t know the details, but if the police was already involved, and you plan on suing them, be careful, you know some things here can get, obscure, unfortunately.Vero

Back