supermarket lines

I know we have read alot about the way supermarkets operate here but I have a new one for the books -

Went to Disco on Quintana today. One cashier was handling the rapida line (which is normal sometimes). Two old ladies making purchases of about 50 items and the cashier accepted them.

Oh yeah, I forgot. HOME DELIVERY so the cashier slowly was putting things in the crate. Everyone went to the other cashiers (no Speedy Gonzales there either) and the old ladies were still at the rapida line complaining about a price on something.

Why doesn't anyone say anything to the manager on duty? People are alot more tolerant than other counties I've seen. As a visitor in this country I would never say anything as I don't think it is my place but now I understand a little more about the sheep always following the flock. This is not intended to be political but I guess you could also use it.

jp said:
Just avoid supermarkets altogether. They make sense in countries where they offer convenience, quality and low prices. But supermarkets here seem to offer a winning combination of shit produce, horrible prices and a miserable shopping experience.

Stick to your local butcher, baker, greengrocer etc and you'll get more for less, and better service to boot.

I went to Cotto today, which I normally do, when I come to Buenso Aires. It was extremely filled with shoppers, but I didnt mind, I was enjoying my shopping experience. I wantd to fill up the fridge in a one time shot, you know, get the basics, etc..anyways, yes the lines were long, yes the checker seemed to be a bit slow, and they never smile! Well after spending atleast an hour at shopping and as I was getting ready to pull out my credit card, she askes for my DNI. I gave her my California Driver LIcense, as I have in the past, SEVERAL times, with NO PROBLEMS. However this time around checker absolutly refused to accept it as proper Identification. SHe said I needed my Passport. I have never had to show a passport before, i dont know why ,suddenly , this has become an issue. THiis my 4th time in Argentina, and I always have shopped at Disco, Cotto, the small chino markets without any problems. I simply show my credit card and Drivers License. Can anyone expalin to me what has changed and why???? I left the market without any groceries, wasted a whole hour there, and not to mention, holding up the long ling while trying to explain in my broken spanglish that this has never been an issue. I pretty much left with my tail between my legs.

marrokome said:
I went to Cotto today, which I normally do, when I come to Buenso Aires. It was extremely filled with shoppers, but I didnt mind, I was enjoying my shopping experience. I wantd to fill up the fridge in a one time shot, you know, get the basics, etc..anyways, yes the lines were long, yes the checker seemed to be a bit slow, and they never smile! Well after spending atleast an hour at shopping and as I was getting ready to pull out my credit card, she askes for my DNI. I gave her my California Driver LIcense, as I have in the past, SEVERAL times, with NO PROBLEMS. However this time around checker absolutly refused to accept it as proper Identification. SHe said I needed my Passport. I have never had to show a passport before, i dont know why ,suddenly , this has become an issue. THiis my 4th time in Argentina, and I always have shopped at Disco, Cotto, the small chino markets without any problems. I simply show my credit card and Drivers License. Can anyone expalin to me what has changed and why???? I left the market without any groceries, wasted a whole hour there, and not to mention, holding up the long ling while trying to explain in my broken spanglish that this has never been an issue. I pretty much left with my tail between my legs.

I had a pretty similar experience, funnily enough, also in Coto. I always show a photo copy of my passport (I dont want to risk carrying my real one) the girl made a fuss, got the supervisor, who also made a fuss. I just stood my ground, put on my best no entiendo face and held the queue until they shrugged their shoulders and relented.
All they really need is an identification number.

cruizes said:
I know we have read alot about the way supermarkets operate here but I have a new one for the books -

Went to Disco on Quintana today. One cashier was handling the rapida line (which is normal sometimes). Two old ladies making purchases of about 50 items and the cashier accepted them.

Oh yeah, I forgot. HOME DELIVERY so the cashier slowly was putting things in the crate. Everyone went to the other cashiers (no Speedy Gonzales there either) and the old ladies were still at the rapida line complaining about a price on something.

Why doesn't anyone say anything to the manager on duty? People are alot more tolerant than other counties I've seen. As a visitor in this country I would never say anything as I don't think it is my place but now I understand a little more about the sheep always following the flock. This is not intended to be political but I guess you could also use it.

Old people & pregnant ladies get priorty so they can go in the rapida lines.

marrokome said:

I always use my DL. The only place I've ever been refused was at the Falabella. I just left my stuff there and walked away.

So all I have to do is put a big pillow under my coat? GREAT!!

BTW - I'm a male but what the hell.......

Back