Surcharge for using a foreign card at a restaurant

Stafford

Registered
So this afternoon we had some bagels at a really great US owned spot in Palermo called Sheikob's Bagels. Everything was seemingly awesome but when I went to pay, the cashier told me the restaurant charges a 10% surcharge for using foreign credit cards. I eat out a lot (but not usually at touristy places) and have lived here for 15+ years and this may have happened once or twice in the past but a long time ago. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this or if it’s going to become “a thing” now. Obviously we paid cash, since the delta between the blue and the MEP is basically non existent at the moment. The most typical experience is to be told that you can get a discount in cash, but very rarely have I experienced an actual surcharge for a card. Is this something others are seeing? Maybe at places that attract a lot of foreigners? I’ll reiterate that the bagels were excellent, so I’m not trying to knock the place. Just a little miffed.

I have met Sheikob, friend of friends. He is a straight shooter, honest guy. If he is charging that, its because the CC companies are charging him, or the exchange rate is so low he needs to do this to get the same amount as an Argentine debit card.

Not something i've seen anywhere but yes does seem a bit unecessary for a place that charges ~$10 for a salmon bagel from memory

I have met Sheikob, friend of friends. He is a straight shooter, honest guy. If he is charging that, its because the CC companies are charging him, or the exchange rate is so low he needs to do this to get the same amount as an Argentine debit card.

No doubt he’s a nice guy. Also friends of friends of ours. My question is whether this is particular to the location or if this surcharge is a trend that’s developing. Haven’t seen it at any restaurants and I imagine they are charged the same fees by the CC companies.

Some restaurants charge a bit more when you pay with credit cards, foreign or not. I am guessing this is the case. They prefer debit or cash.

No doubt he’s a nice guy. Also friends of friends of ours. My question is whether this is particular to the location or if this surcharge is a trend that’s developing. Haven’t seen it at any restaurants and I imagine they are charged the same fees by the CC companies.
It is actually illegal to apply a surcharge depending on the payment method. Most places offer a cash discount, instead. This should be also illegal, according to the law (the price is the same, regardless of the payment method), but still sounds sweeter to get a discount than to get a surcharge, doesn't it?
I have seen a nice pastry place in Recoleta displaying the sign "no foreign card accepted". I understand they are caught in the middle because the government makes up taxes and exchange rates to their liking.

I had the same impression at @tilkaratnedil re: prices at that specific place, but I have no idea of the amount of work that goes into making bagels. I can hardly justify a bagel for the same price of a large pizza myself, but if you want sour cream and smoked salmon in Argentina, I guess that's what you have to pay. And if he is still in business after so many years, there must be enough people willing to pay that money for bagels.

Few months ago didn't want to accept my foreign cc, then after some thinking also not my debit. That was in verduleria, although fancy one. Before and later it was always discount on cash, never surcharge. I guess the restaurant just has it around, others inflate prices, to offer discount..

Back