Surviving The Next Little Ice Age In Argentina

Is it possible that the median age of the population in Argentina has increased and that's why people find winters harsher?

People are living longer so the percentage of older people are increasing. Older people are susceptible to cold....

https://knoema.com/a...e-of-population
https://en.wikipedia...s_by_median_age

@WInterfell, you have really explained it well in post#9.

Could someone post a link to the historical data of average BMI in Argentina? I am curious.

Serafina:

In your original query about home heating, you received a serious, helpful and comprehensive reply written by someone who knows about the matter, and you took it as if you had been personally attacked.

There was a degree of being argumentative coming from your side in your replies back then. Your reaction now seems to be consistent.

Nobody talked to you the way you're saying, and I do get it is an exaggerated caricature to make your point, but the fact that you feel so "insulted, made fun of and trolled around", to use your words, makes me think the problem is all yours, and nobody else's.

My motivation is not to "entertain myself making fun of other people" like you say. I am motivated by the (to me) horrific reality of global warming, all to evident right now right here in BA with this freakishly warm weather we've been having since the end of summer.

So when I see people dressed like it's below zero when it's 18°, when I hear people moan about "the cold" when it's a chronic springtime, and when I read demented nonsense about the cold we're having being "record breaking" (La Nación article) and "a novelty in Buenos Aires" (Serafina), then I feel goaded and do crazy stuff such as signing in and getting involved. For what? I regret this already.

I made a lot of -valid, I believe- points in my previous messages, all of which you have ignored only to slap on a link to a shoddy news article written by a nobody journalist messing about with the numbers to make up a sensational story, as if that was the final word by the ultimate authority.

You wrote
"Standing forum members have switched to PMs only because of people like YOU!"

If it is any consolation, the feeling is mutual and I wish someone told me how to cancel my membership.

@WInterfell, you have really explained it well in post#9.

Thank you

Personally I don't believe BMI or age issues have anything to do with it at all, sound like you're off the wrong track. I keep seeing and hearing youngish and robust healthy looking people overdress & complain about the cold.

To me it's about acclimatisation and getting slowly and gradually used to warmer and warmer, to the point where "Warm Is The New Cold" and the normal cold of yesterday is freakishly freezing now.

This goes to global warming, the reason I'm so active in this discussion.

There's also something to be said about the substantial recent migration from hot countries like Colombia and Venezuela in BA, they (hot countries migrants) feel any mild drop in temperature is really really cold, because of not being used to it, so it might be that they're some of the people I see and hear overdressed and complaining.

It worries me that people just don't remember it used to be way colder before.

It does upset me hearing people cheering for global warming because they hate the cold, so as long as they have their permanent summer all year round, to hell with everyone else and the environment because that's not their problem. I have relatives like that.

Thank you

Personally I don't believe BMI or age issues have anything to do with it at all, sound like you're off the wrong track. I keep seeing and hearing youngish and robust healthy looking people overdress & complain about the cold.

To me it's about acclimatisation and getting slowly and gradually used to warmer and warmer, to the point where "Warm Is The New Cold" and the normal cold of yesterday is freakishly freezing now.

This goes to global warming, the reason I'm so active in this discussion.

There's also something to be said about the substantial recent migration from hot countries like Colombia and Venezuela in BA, they (hot countries migrants) feel any mild drop in temperature is really really cold, because of not being used to it, so it might be that they're some of the people I see and hear overdressed and complaining.

It worries me that people just don't remember it used to be way colder before.

It does upset me hearing people cheering for global warming because they hate the cold, so as long as they have their permanent summer all year round, to hell with everyone else and the environment because that's not their problem. I have relatives like that.

But global warming is a misnomer. Climate change is more appropriate, because warmer and colder seasons can be equally off kilter.

I've stated this here before, and continue to be amused: Argentina and Uruguay are the only places I've been where I saw men draping sweaters on their backs when it's 28 degrees out. Yeah, I know it's a fashion statement, but...come on.

i posted this before because when we speak of climate and weather (vastly different concepts), even the very small sample of the last hundred years doesn't really matter in light of the larger scope of climate change endured by the Earth with or without mans presence. Solar events = volcanic events = climactic events = social evaluation of the previous. The geologic data suggests cold and lots of it.

http://baexpats.org/...age#entry255740

The only reason people think it is colder now than before is due to the fact that long johns quit being cool back in my grandpa's day, and we all know how fashionistas Argies are, so i say, go back to the long johns and the old fashion wool blankets and you'll never know you're about to freeze ,cuz you won't lol
and while you're at it bring the hot water bottle to bed if need be, so there, problem solved, any questions? ;)

The only reason people think it is colder now than before is due to the fact that long johns quit being cool back in my grandpa's day, and we all know how fashionistas Argies are, so i say, go back to the long johns and the old fashion wool blankets and you'll never know you're about to freeze ,cuz you won't lol
and while you're at it bring the hot water bottle to bed if need be, so there, problem solved, any questions? ;)

Yes, one question: Why would anybody want to use long johns and wool blankets in 23°C (or 20°, 24°, etc) like we've been having for the last few days in this never-ending springtime of a winter?

Back