Tango as sex tourism

Foreigners are forever saying they are coming here to dance tango, eat steak, drink wine, have sex with locals and write a book.

They all seem to leave fat, bored of Tango, with a broken heart and a few crappy, badly written posts/articles.

rrptownley said:
Foreigners are forever saying they are coming here to dance tango, eat steak, drink wine, have sex with locals and write a book.

They all seem to leave fat, bored of Tango, with a broken heart and a few crappy, badly written posts/articles.

I love this post.

marksoc said:
Another interpretation: Women have and will always choose men according to power (mostly money).

Bitter, party of one, your table is ready.

Well, here's my 2 cents worth. I met a chick from Queensland, Australia who was here for 9 months just for the tango. She said the majority of the men were old just wanting to get a free touch of the young women but that tango was that originally. That is how all the new immigrant men got the chance to touch a woman and the best male dancers got more chances. So that was the idea 100 years ago. Did this chick fuck any of the instructors? I don't know. But she did one of them porteños in my hostel who was old and ugly. But rejected me. I think the women are doing the porteños because it is fun and uncomplicated, did I also mention fruitless. I did the same when I lived in Thailand. Dancing is probably a good way to meet girls in any country. There is nothing special here I'm aware of. All the locals want to learn salsa anyway.

liam.carroll said:
Well, here's my 2 cents worth. I met a chick from Queensland, Australia who was here for 9 months just for the tango. She said the majority of the men were old just wanting to get a free touch of the young women but that tango was that originally. That is how all the new immigrant men got the chance to touch a woman and the best male dancers got more chances. So that was the idea 100 years ago. Did this chick fuck any of the instructors? I don't know. But she did one of them porteños in my hostel who was old and ugly. But rejected me. I think the women are doing the porteños because it is fun and uncomplicated, did I also mention fruitless. I did the same when I lived in Thailand. Dancing is probably a good way to meet girls in any country. There is nothing special here I'm aware of. All the locals want to learn salsa anyway.

Your friend was a bit misinformed. Originally the dance was only performed in cabarets. The only women that would dare perform the dance back in the day were prostitutes and so often the dance was done by two men. It wasn't until much later that it became more mainstream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksoc
Another interpretation: Women have and will always choose men according to power (mostly money).

Bitter, party of one, your table is ready.

Hey, don´t shoot the messenger. Whatever you want to believe about the actions of ONE individual, the fact (supported by statistics and countless sociological and anthropological studies) is that in general women marry up, men marry down, women choose according to power, men according to beauty and other things related to potential moterhood. In almost all societies in recorded history, by the way. Do whatever you want with the info, but it is real.

marksoc said:
Hey, don´t shoot the messenger. Whatever you want to believe about the actions of ONE individual, the fact (supported by statistics and countless sociological and anthropological studies) is that in general women marry up, men marry down, women choose according to power, men according to beauty and other things related to potential moterhood. In almost all societies in recorded history, by the way. Do whatever you want with the info, but it is real.

This is in western societies where we have been conditioned to worship money and its so called power. There are many prehistoric societies where woman and man are chosen for sexual energy only without any exchange of material benefit.

The realities of tango and sexual partnering are exageratted by those who wish to profit eg. the Greek American Marina Palmer who had to f... all the milongueros and write the tacky best seller Kiss and Tango . In the tango world she was not respected and certainly people here are very aware of the oportunists and will take adantage of you before you can say boo.

As a Milonguero I think that asserting that there is a sex industry at Tango only shows a huge misunderstanding about tango.

Argentinians don´t dance for dancing, we, girls and men dance for flirting. That´s the way our culture is. Take a look at bailantas, cuartetazos in Córdoba, dancing is a beautiful way to flirt with girls. When you dance with a girl you know her very deeply in a few seconds, then you can choose better because you chose for what does she make you feel instead of deciding regarding how beautiful she is. When you chose this way your private life improves a lot.

Some Germans seems to dance for aerobics, some Americans at the beginning think only about steps and showing off, they don´t feel it, they don´t get it.

So, tango has nothing to do with sexuality as you assert, tango creates the desire, that´s why we use the word sensuality instead.

But, of course that people has private life even in tango but this is the same in this whole society were people don´t need to get drunk to go to bed. You have a lot more chances to get a girl for a night at a disco than at Milonga, when people go to milongas this is because they are looking for something different.

If girls chose Tango Teachers or Milongueros instead of begginers or foreigners who are just focus on showing off, this is because experienced Argentinians tango dancers (Milongueros or instructors) are focus on what is going on into the embrace.

But I agree with some asserts I read in this thread. At the US I felt that feminism achieve many advances regarding the rights of women and this is positive. But I also felt that when you use these ideas in the private life, it just doesn´t work properly for some people, they prefer the old fashion way to meet each other where the women are women are the men are men. It is just a game of seduction, that´s it.

Regards

perry said:
This is in western societies where we have been conditioned to worship money and its so called power.

Well, that´s the point. We worship the social relationships. The biggest assets we look for in life are our family and our girl.

perry said:
There are many prehistoric societies where woman and man are chosen for sexual energy only without any exchange of material benefit.

And we call it love, sex is only the consequence of connection, what you call sexual energy.

Regards

Back