tango, foreigners and discrimination

I'm sorry, all of this brouhaha is just blatant PR mongering.

I'm an American who has danced tango here in BsAs since 1997. I also was a Finalist in the 2006 Metropolitano championships, coming in #15 out of more than 500 couples competing. I did not feel discriminated against at all for being foreign.

I moved to BsAs in 2003 and so was a legal resident of the city. Why can't there be a competition of people who live in BsAs?

ALL other dancers from around the world can compete in the larger competition in August--El Mundial. And in fact, sometimes foreign dancers even win!

There is more to this story than meets the eye, which probably has much to do with sour grapes and attention clamoring rather than tango ability.

Yeah, it seemed to me like the author was trying to shoehorn in a feeling of indignation that I felt at first, but as I kept reading it started to make a little sense.

tangocherie said:
I'm sorry, all of this brouhaha is just blatant PR mongering.

I'm an American who has danced tango here in BsAs since 1997. I also was a Finalist in the 2006 Metropolitano championships, coming in #15 out of more than 500 couples competing. I did not feel discriminated against at all for being foreign.

I moved to BsAs in 2003 and so was a legal resident of the city. Why can't there be a competition of people who live in BsAs?

ALL other dancers from around the world can compete in the larger competition in August--El Mundial. And in fact, sometimes foreign dancers even win!

There is more to this story than meets the eye, which probably has much to do with sour grapes and attention clamoring rather than tango ability.

How low can expats go in Argentina trying to claim Tango as their dance. We do not go to the USA and try to change your dances and your culture. Cherie I like what you said and you are a real porteña.

cabrera said:
How low can expats go in Argentina trying to claim Tango as their dance. We do not go to the USA and try to change your dances and your culture. Cherie I like what you said and you are a real porteña.

"¿Por qué no te callas?"

cabrera said:
And I presume Argentinians have something to say about football, which was invented by the English? Who really cares who "invented" something if it's something you love to do and are good at it?

I'm beginning to get the impression you are an idiot. Your posts certainly only seem to aim to cause trouble.

It seems that racism in the article was targeted at Asians. From another post I remember seeing on here, Asians still seem pretty stereotyped in Argentina.

deeve007 said:
And I presume Argentinians have something to say about football, which was invented by the English? Who really cares who "invented" something if it's something you love to do and are good at it?

I'm beginning to get the impression you are an idiot. Your posts certainly only seem to aim to cause trouble.

I really think cabrera is a troll. So don't feed the troll!

Santiago F said:
I really think cabrera is a troll.
Considering the majority of cabrera's posts, we must definitively hope so - or else ...

Back