Tango is a caricature of the patriarchy (NYTimes)

Nothing like a good hate speech to remind me that you're as deplorable as a Nazi supremacist.
LOL WHAT??? Dude you are out of your damn mind. You have to be one of the crazier people on the internet that I have come across. I have come across some of your replies in the past and you are an absolute nut job. How ANYONE would ever use you as an immigration lawyer is beyond me because you sound like you escaped a mental facility in almost every thread I have seen you in.

Your supremacist aggressions are directly proportional to your lack of arguments.

If they're going to protest the tango as sexist, they might as well protest wearing a wedding dress or a necktie.

But something tells me that there's no lesbian conspiracy to convert the rules of tango so as to promote lesbian sexual harassment of other women.

It seems to me that the main issue here is an argument about tango itself: is tango so fundamental to the culture that it is something that must change to reflect broader changes in the culture? Or is it a dance that arose at a given time and place, so that the old gender roles are fundamental to the practice? In the first case, it makes sense to start a conversation, in the second case, the activists should just not practice tango.
This article on the topic is far better in my opinion.

Cheers!

"The tango, a traditional Argentinean dance, is typically associated with strong, dark men and long-limbed women acting out sex in dance form. Or, as Julie Taylor, anthropology professor at Rice University says, “over-the-top heterosexist drag.”

From this perspective, the past few years of queer tango in Argentina are an innovation, an adaptation from the traditional gender roles. But, despite a mythology that links the tango with brothels, historical research shows that the tango was danced by male couples from the beginning. And so, rather than pushing boundaries, queer tango is a return to the origins of the dance."

It is true that originally the tango was danced between men ( as there were very few woman in Buenos Aires at the time } They did not define themselves as gay ( not that it is a problem } . The issue now is not a question of discrimation against gay people as Buenos Aires is a very accepting inclusive city with many gay bars , gay milongas , etc etc .

The issue is that a radical group want to reinvent the tango culture and create a new dance and rules akin to their beliefs . This is nazism at its finest as people who enjoy the tradional dance have the right to do so .

People are entitled to have a space that they feel comfortable in and the milongas in Buenos Aires are very respectful to everybody . Sure you will get some men or woman that cross the line but that is for the organizers to deal with . Milongas are much safer places than the real world due to the defined rules of tango that are very respectful to woman . Please look up the cabaceo which allows woman to reject a man without any verbal interacction

What I find ludicrous about this movement is that they are targeting tango of all dances in Argentina when cumbia and reggaetton define people to the lowest common demoninator . The moves that you will see in a reggaeton club are very sexual and highly suggestive but not a peep from this same group . Why is that ?

Last edited:
Back