Tango me....

I just remembered that the first time I ever danced Argentine Tango was on January 1, 2005. It will be exactly 15 years on Wednesday. It was probably around 2010 when I discovered https://www.tangoandchaos.org/. I think it may have been off the internet for a couple of years. Another excellent free source for learning about social Tango in Buenos Aires is the blog by our own Jantango:Tango Chamuyo The Milongas and Milongueros of Buenos Aires :https://jantango.wordpress.com/.

Last edited:
Thank you Macanudo and to all who have contributed so much to this conversation. The best part of it all is the collective 'you'. In reality I start my new life in Argentina knowing no one....but it sure doesn't feel that way.

No, she meant the dichotomy between milongueros and dancers who just do copied steps to show off while milongueros listen to the music and dance following it, for who it is only important what is going on inside the embrasment. My grand pa used to say that the woman should close her eyes and feel you are alone in the dancefloor [when it is super crowded]. A milonguero usually is a veteran dancer who never crash with other couples, who develops his own style, who respect the codes of the dance floor but, an amateur.

The close tango is related to the downtown milongas where the space was smaller like today is El Beso, former Regine in the 80’.
Thankyou. I hear the term "milonguero" so much that it seems to be used in different ways. Someone said that a teacher will teach them "milonguero" style, which seemed to be more specific than "someone who is more interested in the embraced partner and the feeling between them than any demonstration of skill" etc.

Thankyou. I hear the term "milonguero" so much that it seems to be used in different ways. Someone said that a teacher will teach them "milonguero" style, which seemed to be more specific than "someone who is more interested in the embraced partner and the feeling between them than any demonstration of skill" etc.
In my opinion, Milonguero is a status at the milonga that means veteran. They say you are a milonguero when you have been going to dance every night to several milongas per night for several years and you get a special understanding of the abrazo, the codes, the circulation (always forward), you don’t crush other couples, you don’t do bullshit steps, you listen to the music, you focus on your walking, you own your table at the best location at the best milonga, you have rituals, when you understand, respect and you are respected.
But it is not like you assert that you are a milonguero, it is more like people at milonga accept you like one of them. It is like citizenship of tango.
It means that other milongueros respect you.
When they tell you they are going to teach you milonguero style, it means that they are going to teach you real tango, not the bullshit they teach ay NYC, among other places.
If you want to see what a milonguero is google for Nene Masci (Look at his ocho adelante). He was a perfect example about how milonguero means a tango way of life. He danced for over 50 years at milongas every night until he went to the doctor for a minor operation and they discovered terminal bones cancer and he passed away a few days after. He didn’t have any symtoms because he was moving so much for his age (over 70). So, it was a great final and, if we are so sad, it is because we are being selfish.24AA2BB4-F78F-4440-9B3D-41CC6CECB4A3.jpeg

Last edited:
In my opinion, Milonguero is a status at the milonga that means veteran. They say you are a milonguero when you have been going to dance every night to several milongas per night for several years and you get a special understanding of the abrazo, the codes, the circulation (always forward), you don’t crush other couples, you don’t do bullshit steps, you listen to the music, you focus on your walking, you own your table at the best location at the best milonga, you have rituals, when you understand, respect and you are respected.
But it is not like you assert that you are a milonguero, it is more like people at milonga accept you like one of them. It is like citizenship of tango.
It means that other milongueros respect you.
When they tell you they are going to teach you milonguero style, it means that they are going to teach you real tango, not the bullshit they teach ay NYC, among other places.
An excellent summary of one way in which the word is used. As much or more a kind of cultural appreciation than a technique.

Milonguero is the person who usually goes to the Milongas (the places where you can dance Tango)

Milonguero=Male // Milonguera=Female // Milongas=the place where you can dance Tango // Milongueros=people who enjoy dancing Tango

Back