Tango

Jade Onerway

Registered
Hi, I am going to visit Buenos Aires in April and decided to take some Argentine Tango classes before I leave. Any suggestions on places to try out my new dance steps? I'll be traveling with a friend who is not taking classes so I might have to tango with a stranger.

Try the "tangotel" CONVENTILLO DE LUJO in Belgrano(B Matienzo 2696 corner Ciudad de la Paz.
Talk to Amy from Michigan 4779-1294 or 1569458096

Thanks for your post. I tried to find it on Googlemaps but no luck. It's not a problem for me to wait until I get down there to ask some locals where a safe place to go with music and tango dancing but just thought if anyone has a favorite spot. I'm not a late nighter so an 8:00 start would be more my schedule. I've been living in Mexico and the evenings don't get started around here until midnight or so. But on another note, I learned the eight step in our last Tango class :)

DNI tango, close to Palermo. Almost everybody dance with a stranger. ;-)

:eek: so better not to go or dance with stranger? I will have a male companion 15 yrs my señior. We have been friends for 20 yrs, like my brother and we travel together but he refuses to learn the Tango. I was hoping there would be an older crowd hangout, I'm not mentioning age but I'd be happy to dance with a fine gentlemen whose been around the sun 60 or 70 times :)

Milongas, the dance halls where you go to tango, don't even open until 11pm and can be quite intimidating to a beginner. You could go to a practica, as it's earlier in the evening and it's not as formal as a milonga. Check the magazine "El Tangauta" or "Buenos Aires Tango" online and they list classes and places to dance and practice. You can also hire a taxi dancer to practice with as well.

Hello,

You will love tango in Buenos Aires. You will be able to find some places that start around 8 pm usually Practicas ( less formal which is good since you are a beginner) There are some "afternoon milongas' that start around 7 pm as well you just have to look around... Please don't let anyone tell you that Catadral is the best place to dance.. it is an interesting place and fun to visit but not necessarily the best for improving your tango. Also they are correct everyone dances with strangers... but if you take some classes while you are here you will meet some new friends to dance with as well. On the otherhand you don't HAVE to dance with everyone that asks you. Just because they are from Argentina doesn't mean they know what they are doing.

I help people organize their 'tango vacations' all the time... feel free to send me a private message.

Milongas that come to mind as earlier, accessible, and tourist friendly are Milonquita on Armenia, Maldita and Bendita on Peru in San Telmo (take a taxi to the door), Nationale, some at Confiteria Ideal, some at Salon Canning. Pick up a copy of the magazine tangauta at DNI tango when you arrive to check locations and times. The web site www.hoy-milonga.com has current event listings.

Back