Tanslation help: soccer

JoeBlow

Registered
Does anybody know if "own goal" is used in American English? I believe this is the term used in British English to refer to a goal that a player scores against his/her own team.

THanks!

"Own goal" is definitely used in American English. I don't think there is any other term that can replace it.

I did not expect the translation to be from British English to American English!

Does anyone know how to say "own goal" in Spanish? I guess it would be the opposite of a golaso (golazo?) haha.

HowardinBA said:

Thanks Howard. I do however need people's opinion who have actually been around soccer in the US (not saying you haven't!).

Macmillan, though they claim to have American and British English entries in their dictionary, are not at all a reliable source on American usage in my experience (I use their dictionary a lot).

Merriam Webster's Learner's Dictionary (published in the US) gives this for own goal:

own goal chiefly Brit : a goal in soccer, hockey, etc., that a player accidentally scores against his or her own team ▪ We lost the game when one of our players scored an own goal for the other team.

"Chiefly Brit" of course meaning mostly in use in British English.

Anybody else want to weigh in?

Nick0518 said:
"Own goal" is definitely used in American English. I don't think there is any other term that can replace it.

I did not expect the translation to be from British English to American English!

Does anyone know how to say "own goal" in Spanish? I guess it would be the opposite of a golaso (golazo?) haha.

Thanks Nick! I take it youre from the US?

In Argentina, an own goal is a gol en contra.

Cheers!

Yeah I'm from the US. I've played soccer...sorry football since I was five.

I would've thought there would be a more dramatic term for own goal than "gol en contra." Too bad.

I think "own goal" is a relatively new term in the US...well last 10/15 years. In spanish I say "auto gol" which is used in other latin countries.

Nick0518 said:
Yeah I'm from the US. I've played soccer...sorry football since I was five.

I would've thought there would be a more dramatic term for own goal than "gol en contra." Too bad.
Now just because the players dive all the time, especially those on Barcelona, there's no reason to call soccer- "sorry football".

I've played the sport since I was 5 or 6 as well and I manage to stay on my feet nearly the entire game. And I don't whine either. And thus, I avoid using adjectives like "sorry" or "pussy" or "wussy" or "full of divers" unless I am talking about specific Italian teams, Didier Drogba, Steven Gerrard, Dani Alves, or virtually the entire Barcelona and/or Spanish national team... give special credit to Andrés Iniesta for his diving and crying that "won" two yellow cards for a Dutch player in the World Cup finals.

Other than that, I just call it "soccer".

;)

Back