Tax implications for working for US Co. in Arg.

rissawojo

Registered
My boss told me I could work remotely (I work from home for IBM) in Argentina. I started making plans then she promptly was told by HR that the IRS has strict rules about me working remotely from a foreign country. I would keep my residence in California and pay US and California taxes. I was planning this trip to be an "extended" vacation where I work during the day but everything is on my dime. Does anyone know where I can find tax implications? How easy is it to fly under the radar which I was planning to (but she is a goody two shoes).

Thanks!

rissawojo said:
My boss told me I could work remotely (I work from home for IBM) in Argentina. I started making plans then she promptly was told by HR that the IRS has strict rules about me working remotely from a foreign country. I would keep my residence in California and pay US and California taxes. I was planning this trip to be an "extended" vacation where I work during the day but everything is on my dime. Does anyone know where I can find tax implications? How easy is it to fly under the radar which I was planning to (but she is a goody two shoes).

Thanks!

If you are being paid in the US and are paying US and Cal taxes, there probably isn't much to worry about. Frankly, however, if you are in Argentina for more than six months of the year, you may be legally required to pay taxes in Argentina...on your income and assets...worldwide. Nonetheless, if you are here with a tourist visa (easily renewable with one visit to migraciones after the first 90 days and one trip abroad after 90 more days), you will probably be able to stay under the radar until there is a crackdown on the tourist visa loophole.

Back