Tax Question

cmarin

Registered
I am considering taking an assignment for 2 years in Buenos Aires, although I have been coming almost every month for the last year, this time I am considering to move permanent for at least 2 years, my question is about taxes filing, I have learned that as an Expat. in the US we are exempt for the first 90,000 USD in salary we earn, is this exemption taken from your mothly salary of do we have the deductions and file an the end of the year?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

cmarin said:
I am considering taking an assignment for 2 years in Buenos Aires, although I have been coming almost every month for the last year, this time I am considering to move permanent for at least 2 years, my question is about taxes filing, I have learned that as an Expat. in the US we are exempt for the first 90,000 USD in salary we earn, is this exemption taken from your mothly salary of do we have the deductions and file an the end of the year?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Check with a US accountant. Information on Expat websites such as Escapeartist and International Living is not always reliable. To put it bluntly, commercial sites have a vested interest in having people relocate.

cmarin, it really is quite easy, when you file your taxes there is a form for the $90'000 deduction but you also need a form to prove you are a resident outside the US nad you did not work more than 30 in the USA per calendar year.
Before you accept the assignement you should negotiate carefully with your employer, as 35% is taken from your monthly check here AND you need to pay tax in the US as well.....

This is a pretty good incentive, especially if you are paid in dollars to your US bank account!

Yes, you have to file taxes to take advantage of this, but I would recommend that you bump up the number of deductions you take. This would mean there would be less taxes taken out every month.

Back