Teaching Materials

Jo44

Registered
Hello there: I am currently teaching English in Buenos Aires. I've been here for eight months, teaching at several companies and using worksheets and games I have found in books or on the internet. Recently, I haven't found any new or interesting materials. I was wondering, if there are any teachers who can recommend books or websites? I'm teaching prepositions at the moment so does anyone have any good exercises on prepositions?

Id like to try to get together a group of teachers to meetup semir-egularly to exchange ideas, if you're into that.

Hi, Jo44,

I've been teaching ESL/EFL for several years. If you are teaching prepositions, I recommend the following activities:

1). Google the lyrics of "Octopus' Garden" by the Beatles. Create a cloze activity worksheet with the prepositions (there are a TON in that song!).

2). (This activity works well with a group or kids/teenagers especially, it's kind of like TPR activity): When they are familiar with the basic prepositions (on, next to, in, etc.), tell them, "Okay, put your book on your head. Place your left foot under your chair, etc." It creates a humorous situation that is more effective than just a worksheet.

For good websites, I highly recommend www.onestopenglish.com. Although you need a paid subscription (around US$64 annually), it is a gold mine. Imagine you enter some VERY specific criteria for your lesson (let's stay you select the options that you will be teaching a 60 MINUTE LESSON to ADULT LEARNERS with an INTERMEDIATE LEVEL focusing on VOCABULARY)... The site will search its data base and show you what lessons and activities it has based (among thousands) that match your needs. Pretty cool stuff.

PM me if you have any questions about anything else ESL-related, the field is truly my passion. Saludos!

Busy teacher is a good website - lots of free worksheets on everything you can think of.
Also a note to you all... is anyone a native teacher and available on Wednesdays at 12-130pm to teach a teenager in Belgrano. 90 pesos for the class? If so please respond

Great, thanks for the help! I will look into it.. :) I will message you if I have any questions.

Lauren23 said:
Hi, Jo44,

I've been teaching ESL/EFL for several years. If you are teaching prepositions, I recommend the following activities:

1). Google the lyrics of "Octopus' Garden" by the Beatles. Create a cloze activity worksheet with the prepositions (there are a TON in that song!).

2). (This activity works well with a group or kids/teenagers especially, it's kind of like TPR activity): When they are familiar with the basic prepositions (on, next to, in, etc.), tell them, "Okay, put your book on your head. Place your left foot under your chair, etc." It creates a humorous situation that is more effective than just a worksheet.

For good websites, I highly recommend www.onestopenglish.com. Although you need a paid subscription (around US$64 annually), it is a gold mine. Imagine you enter some VERY specific criteria for your lesson (let's stay you select the options that you will be teaching a 60 MINUTE LESSON to ADULT LEARNERS with an INTERMEDIATE LEVEL focusing on VOCABULARY)... The site will search its data base and show you what lessons and activities it has based (among thousands) that match your needs. Pretty cool stuff.

PM me if you have any questions about anything else ESL-related, the field is truly my passion. Saludos!

Hey Maryeliza! I'm sorry but I teach a class at that time. Does the student have any other availability?

Maryeliza said:
Busy teacher is a good website - lots of free worksheets on everything you can think of.
Also a note to you all... is anyone a native teacher and available on Wednesdays at 12-130pm to teach a teenager in Belgrano. 90 pesos for the class? If so please respond

Sure, let me know the time and place and I'll be there. :)

JoeBlow said:
Id like to try to get together a group of teachers to meetup semir-egularly to exchange ideas, if you're into that.

I always suggest that people check out the US radio network NPR (www.npr.org).

It has all of its material (about 7 hours a day) in audio form, but they also have transcripts, so you can listen and read at the same time, something I have always found very useful when learning a new language (8 and counting).

Cheers, RR

Hey, I already use that site and it's great! You speak 8 languages? I'm trying to learn Spanish and it's difficult. I speak two languages. How's your Spanish?

wreReynolds said:
I always suggest that people check out the US radio network NPR (www.npr.org).

It has all of its material (about 7 hours a day) in audio form, but they also have transcripts, so you can listen and read at the same time, something I have always found very useful when learning a new language (8 and counting).

Cheers, RR

Back