Technical question on TV standard: PAL-N?

janrick

Registered
Hi expats
I just arrived to Bs Aires with a new Samsung LED TV that I bought in China. Ofcourse it was not a simple plug and play, its seems like my TV does not support the PAL-N standard for analogue TV that they have here (despite what the Chinese told me...).
Anyone has experience from this, can you purchase some converter?

What´s the situation with digital TV, is it widely spread, someone told me Cablevision is offering this.

Appreciate all help

-- JR

janrick said:
Hi expats
I just arrived to Bs Aires with a new Samsung LED TV that I bought in China. Ofcourse it was not a simple plug and play, its seems like my TV does not support the PAL-N standard for analogue TV that they have here (despite what the Chinese told me...).
Anyone has experience from this, can you purchase some converter?

What´s the situation with digital TV, is it widely spread, someone told me Cablevision is offering this.

Appreciate all help

-- JR
I believe it depends on the tuner. Most new ones I understand support multiple ones (i.e. PAL, NTSC, others). That's the first thing I would check.
I assume you have already tried the set and it doesn't work. There are adapters available but I don't know if they have any that would work with your Chinese set. I had an American TV (NTSC) and it didn't work with the local cable company, switched to DirectTV which is a (NTSC) signal and it worked perfectly. DirectTV actually provides a converter to switch the signal from NTSC to PAL-N, of course in my case I didn't need it.

I have an American-made TV with the Cablevision digital box and it works beautifully. Just connected the HDMI cable and I was all set.

I have an Aussie pal b tv that works beautifully with Cablevision digital. It's connected with a standard rca plug. I don't subscribe to hd nor do I use hdmi but that would work just fine too. We receive over 120 channels.

ghost said:
How many HD channels do you get?

Looks like 15, with HBO HD and MovieCity HD bringing that to 17 if you subscribe to them.

Back