Televisions

Polloculo

Registered
So I have worked out that given how expensive LCD and Plasma Televisions are here, that even with the cost of freight and the 50% Tax on imported electronic goods Im still miles infront if I import one.

Just wanted to know if anyone knows of any other hidden costs/taxes I would be liable for if I bought a TV in here and issues I would have with PAL etc?

Here is the place from where I ordered my new TV. Prices are good, they ship carefully anywhere, and most importantly if you do not plan to use that TV only in Argentina (which doesn't even use the same PAL as in Europe, for example), you can get a TV that plays in all zones worldwide and operates on all voltages.

I didn't find any hidden costs. It's just the TV, the shipping, and the import duty.

If you use Cablevision or DirectTV, their signals are NTSC (USA zone), but you need to be aware that Argentina uses a version of PAL that is not used elsewhere, and if you move the TV with you, it's not going to work anywhere else.

The link. http://www.world-import.com/

When I was in the States in June, I bought a 46" Samsung LCD TV from Amazon.com for about U$S 950, packed it up, and brought it on the plane with me to Buenos Aires. This same TV here costs AR $13,999, so even with the U$S 300 extra weight and size charges and the U$S 325 duty at EZE, I still saved almost U$S 2000.

I had the Cablevision digital box before getting their HD box and didn't have any problems with the picture on either.

The added benefit to this TV was that it was 110V - 220V, so it works without a converter. That was something I didn't know when I bought it and had planned to use a converter.

The model: Samsung LN46C650 46-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LCD HDTV (Black)

Hope that helps.

You don't even have to wait until you're back in the States -- hop a flight to Santiago de Chile for 200 USD and you can get LCDs for less than half the price they are in BA.

Thanks for the info guys. It appears at first glance anyway that buying a TV here is a waste of money. Ill look into these other places.

No I moved here as part of a subversive right wing paramilitary group looking to overthrow those communist pigs in government. However the revolution prefers to watch itself on the news in high def.

Polloculo said:
No I moved here as part of a subversive right wing paramilitary group looking to overthrow those communist pigs in government. However the revolution prefers to watch itself on the news in high def.

Perfect answer to a sarcastic and snide comment

syngirl said:
You don't even have to wait until you're back in the States -- hop a flight to Santiago de Chile for 200 USD and you can get LCDs for less than half the price they are in BA.

Are all electronics cheaper in Chili? Are they cheaper (compared to Argentina) or cheap (as in 'normal' price in US/Europe)??

Back