Temer's Trickle Down.

Noesdeayer

Registered
With all the opinions gernerated by the US elections and recent candidates' debate it is easy to forget that we are geographically in South America and a lot is going on in our part of the world as well.
Brazil's new president Temer's recent visit with Argentina's Macri is one of them.In an article published in La Nacion I found some of Temer's comments to be concerning for those interested in participative democracy.When asked why he seemed to be avoiding direct contact with Brazil's people thenselves and making proposals to them more openly,Temer answered that he was dealing with congress and in this way,indeed,with the people thenselves .I admit to an incomplete kmowledge of the makeup of Brazil's elected legislators. .Nonetheless,I have read that many are strongely beholden to vested interests to whom they owe iron clad alligeance Also,Temer's proposal to freeze public spending beginning in 2018 for 20 years including health and education-with so far no definite mention of pension reform - is disturbing.In answer to that he stated that 20% of the corrected budget would be at the discretionary disposal of the executive .Knowing Temer's reputation,I guess,we are supposed to believe that he will do the "right thing". by way of health and educatioin and not favor govemment employees' pensions instead .On the bright side ,the Brazilian judiciary, working beautifully, has recently ruled that all cases of congressional corruption must be grouped by political party .A great help for belief in a free justice system but bad news for crooked politicians in any party including those in Temer's own.

When the day comes that I have to worry or even think about Brazilian politics, I will pack up and leave South America. Sudan, here I come.

John Doe:
To answer your post is really almost a waste of time.
Nonetheless,to obviate the need to have even scant knowledge of a neighboring country and the largest trading partner of the one in which you have been residing for the last 10 years borders on gross egocentrism to say the very least.

Temer, an un-elected and un-charismatic president, is playing safe by shielding behind his office. I doubt he could do anything else.

oiram :
Correct.He is super shielding behind his office.The debate and votes in Brazil's Congress will begin as early as next week,I believe.
Whereas,the reform of the completely unsustainable retirement and pension system -which to the almost disbelief of many foreigners,including myself,has NO minimum age for either sex-is purported to go on for months.
Obviously,the idea is to get the support of investment capital and,hopefully,iron the budget numbers out and get the support of congress,gov't employees and the people later on.
Boa Sorte,senhor presidente! Good luck,Mr. president ! because you're really going to need it in order to pull this off.
To each his/her own as they say.I didn't bother watching the 2nd US candidates debate.However,I will be watching events in neighboring Brazil very closely in the coming months.
There's an Argentine saying,"Pisa fuerte,donde estas". --Step down hard where you are. And we are in South America's Southern Cone.

Temer, an un-elected and un-charismatic president, is playing safe by shielding behind his office. I doubt he could do anything else.

He did not "parachute" out of nowhere into the presidency. He was elected (I did not vote for him). The ticket was Dilma/Temer. Ironically, the folks that most strongly challenge his legitimacy as president are the same jackasses that voted for him in the first place.

rede-bravence-midia-brasil-michel-temer-dilma-lula-fhc-moro-aecio-ricardo-renan-psdb-pp-pmdb-pt-pdt-stf-cni-fiesp-pf-policia-federal-lava-jato-jornal-tv-globo-gilmar-mendes-cassacao-chapa-caixa-2.gif

572495-970x600-1.jpeg

Knowing Temer's reputation,I guess,we are supposed to believe that he will do the "right thing". by way of health and educatioin and not favor govemment employees' pensions instead

You don't have to "believe", as he already did it. The Constitutional Amendment that he submitted for for congressional vote ends all special pension rules and privileges for the political class. There will be only one single social security system, with unified rules for everyone, including civil servants, judges and politicians.

Reforma da Previdência vai atingir políticos, diz Temer

BTW, we are still waiting for Macri's long promised structural reforms.

Camberiu.
Good He submitted the Amendment but it still has to be debated and voted upon which should be very interesting and probably somewhat testy.
Thanks for the Folha link which I have only speed read so far.
BTW: I don't believe there is any Argentine structural reform that is as sorely needed as the one Temer just proposed today.

Back