Temp residency & bringing in personal goods in stages plus mercosur/no mercosur

ARC777

Registered
Hello, fairly new here and my first post - have found such a wealth of advice on here already - thank you! I’ve had a lot of trouble finding specific information - would love to hear your thoughts or any similar experiences.

I’m planning to come for a visit as tourist with dependant and then if it feels right, applying for temporary residency (pensionado). I’m currently a citizen of a non Mercosur country that we will be departing from and have living in long term, although I am entitled to a Mercosur citizenship (not Argentina) and will most likely go through that process after going through Argentina residency application (logistical & family reasons).

I’ll probably bring what I can for now via excess baggage - one factor is I have camping equipment I’d like to bring as excess baggage including camping type equipment - RV fridge/freezer, cooking equip, bedding etc as well as small room air and water filtration systems etc - any ideas if I would have to pay duty on this kind of stuff if I’m coming as tourist? I’m a bit confused with what's permissable. Also is there an actual list of what is permissible through customs? The list I have is very short (no honey etc :( and doesn’t really clarify much - I've had no luck finding a definitive list anywhere thus far.

Re: personal items - If I apply/receive temp residency, I would most likely look to air shipping and cargo shipping the items I would need to set up for a year or two. I know there is a time limit - 6 months after arrival (?)

Would I be able to do this and then on receipt of permanent residency (or Argentina citizenship if I applied for that instead) then have another shipment arranged for “all that other stuff” (photos, a couple of pieces of furniture, music & movie collection, hobby equipment, art etc) that one can’t just leave in storage forever in another country? No plans on ever coming back here and will look to settle - hopefully in Argentina - at least for the shorter term. Would a second import also qualify as non dutiable import due to it being a 'different residency application' or is there a rule about having had to have been living somewhere else for a certain time or similar so you only get the one change at either temp residency stage or permanent residency/citizenship stage to bring in anything you’ll ever want that’s already yours?

if only one time permitted, would an option be to ship one lot (say at temp residency stage) myself and then have my dependant ship the more permanent items as a seperate import at permanent residency/citizenship stage? How does importing personal items work with families? At the latter stage dependant will be formally independent.

Would being granted a Mercosur citizenship elsewhere post my Argentinian temp residency application stage assist/complicate any of this?

Appreciate advice on any of the above!

First, when you enter as a tourist, you need to look like a tourist, including what you bring into the country...this is from my BA attorney as I am doing the same thing as a USA citizen but a resident in Mexico. Second, to apply for residency, you need a federal background check dated not more than 90 days before application from each country you are a citizen of or live in. My USA background check from the FBI took just five days, but the Mexican one took four months!!!
After you have applied for residency and the paperwork is in the process, you can get a document and leave again...then when return, you can bring what you want as a temporary resident. You will need to stay the first time you apply for about 2-3 weeks before you leave.
I'm only bringing 2 large suitcases and a carry-on the first time, then the second time 6 large suitcases and a carry-on.
I can't answer the Mercosur question...I have no idea.

Last edited:
Hello, fairly new here and my first post - have found such a wealth of advice on here already - thank you! I’ve had a lot of trouble finding specific information - would love to hear your thoughts or any similar experiences.

I’m planning to come for a visit as tourist with dependant and then if it feels right, applying for temporary residency (pensionado).

I came for a visit ("alone" with my dog and two suitcases) as a tourist in 2006 to see if I wanted to live in Capital Federal and I began the process to get temporary residency a few months later. I received the temporary residency not quite three months after that.

I’ll probably bring what I can for now via excess baggage - one factor is I have camping equipment I’d like to bring as excess baggage including camping type equipment - RV fridge/freezer, cooking equip, bedding etc as well as small room air and water filtration systems etc - any ideas if I would have to pay duty on this kind of stuff if I’m coming as tourist? I’m a bit confused with what's permissable. Also is there an actual list of what is permissible through customs? The list I have is very short (no honey etc :( and doesn’t really clarify much - I've had no luck finding a definitive list anywhere thus far.

Re: personal items - If I apply/receive temp residency, I would most likely look to air shipping and cargo shipping the items I would need to set up for a year or two. I know there is a time limit - 6 months after arrival (?)

It`s one thing to bring enough "camping equipment" that looks like you are going camping as a tourist. I´m not sure that would include "household" items like "small room air and walter filtration systems, etc" and you could actually be denied the option to pay duty on those items if not denied entry into the country.

As Lunar posted in June:

"Let me tell you a story. A friend of mine, who is an Argentine citizen, once invited his parents from a country, for which a visa "is not required". And they had planned to stay here for a long time and brought a lot of stuff, including frying pans, etc. The idea was to enter as tourists and after that apply for a resident visa. They were rejected at the border by the immigration, and returned back home on the same plane."

You will have six months after receiving temporary residency (not the date of your arrival) to have what you want shipped here and you wil have to post a bond to cover the duty. As far as know, you will forfiet the bond if you leave Argentina without taking your stuff with you.

Would I be able to do this and then on receipt of permanent residency (or Argentina citizenship if I applied for that instead) then have another shipment arranged for “all that other stuff” (photos, a couple of pieces of furniture, music & movie collection, hobby equipment, art etc) that one can’t just leave in storage forever in another country? No plans on ever coming back here and will look to settle - hopefully in Argentina - at least for the shorter term.

Would a second import also qualify as non dutiable import due to it being a 'different residency application' or is there a rule about having had to have been living somewhere else for a certain time or similar so you only get the one change at either temp residency stage or permanent residency/citizenship stage to bring in anything you’ll ever want that’s already yours?

As far as I know, you will only be able to make one shipment duty free as a temporary resdent, and even if you change the category to permanent residency after three years or become a citizen, you would then have to leave the country for at least a year before making another duty free shipment.

if only one time permitted, would an option be to ship one lot (say at temp residency stage) myself and then have my dependant ship the more permanent items as a seperate import at permanent residency/citizenship stage?
If ony "only one time (is) permitted," as a temporary resident, you will not be ae to receive a second shipment, even if your "dependant" makes it., especially if he/she has be living in Argentina for six month and their residency is based on yours.

How does importing personal items work with families?

One shipment per family as far as I know.

At the latter stage dependant will be formally independent.

Is the dependant is also a citizen of a Mercosur country? I think that will help with migraciones, and it might make a difference to the Aduana, but less likely regarding a duty free shipment after six months. It's certainly worth knowing if he/she an qualify for one duty free shipment at some point.

If my information is correct, Argentine citizens (and perhaps permanent residents) who have been out of the country for more than one year can make duty free shipments of goods they have owned for at least six months (but I am not 100% certain about the time limits).

As always, I hope others can add to or correct this infomation, especially about any "extra" advantage a citizen of another Mercosur country might have.

Would I be able to do this and then on receipt of permanent residency (or Argentina citizenship if I applied for that instead) then have another shipment arranged for “all that other stuff” (photos, a couple of pieces of furniture, music & movie collection, hobby equipment, art etc) that one can’t just leave in storage forever in another country? No plans on ever coming back here and will look to settle - hopefully in Argentina - at least for the shorter term.
My answer to this question was "lost" in editing. As far as I know, the stuff you bring in "duty free "as a temporary resident becomes truly duty free when you become a permanent resident, but that cambio de categoria does not entitle you to a second, duty free shipment unless you leave the country for at least a year (and only if that provision aples to permanent residents as well as citizens).

My answer to this question was "lost" in editing. As far as I know, the stuff you bring in "duty free "as a temporary resident becomes truly duty free when you become a permanent resident, but that cambio de categoria does not entitle you to a second, duty free shipment unless you leave the country for at least a year (and only if that provision aples to permanent residents as well as citizens).
"aples" = "applies" 🤠

First, when you enter as a tourist, you need to look like a tourist, including what you bring into the country...this is from my BA attorney as I am doing the same thing as a USA citizen but a resident in Mexico. Second, to apply for residency, you need a federal background check dated not more than 90 days before application from each country you are a citizen of or live in. My USA background check from the FBI took just five days, but the Mexican one took four months!!!
After you have applied for residency and the paperwork is in the process, you can get a document and leave again...then when return, you can bring what you want as a temporary resident. You will need to stay the first time you apply for about 2-3 weeks before you leave.
I'm only bringing 2 large suitcases and a carry-on the first time, then the second time 6 large suitcases and a carry-on.
I can't answer the Mercosur question...I have no idea.
Thank-you thats such good advice!
Mexico - everything, painfully slow and complex... Thanks for the heads up on this, always good to make sure you have timing in mind.
I wasn't aware that you could leave after an initial period, that's for letting me know, this might be helpful (albeit expensive!)

I came for a visit ("alone" with my dog and two suitcases) as a tourist in 2006 to see if I wanted to live in Capital Federal and I began the process to get temporary residency a few months later. I received the temporary residency not quite three months after that.

It`s one thing to bring enough "camping equipment" that looks like you are going camping as a tourist. I´m not sure that would include "household" items like "small room air and walter filtration systems, etc" and you could actually be denied the option to pay duty on those items if not denied entry into the country.

As Lunar posted in June:

"Let me tell you a story. A friend of mine, who is an Argentine citizen, once invited his parents from a country, for which a visa "is not required". And they had planned to stay here for a long time and brought a lot of stuff, including frying pans, etc. The idea was to enter as tourists and after that apply for a resident visa. They were rejected at the border by the immigration, and returned back home on the same plane."

You will have six months after receiving temporary residency (not the date of your arrival) to have what you want shipped here and you wil have to post a bond to cover the duty. As far as know, you will forfiet the bond if you leave Argentina without taking your stuff with you.

As far as I know, you will only be able to make one shipment duty free as a temporary resdent, and even if you change the category to permanent residency after three years or become a citizen, you would then have to leave the country for at least a year before making another duty free shipment.

If ony "only one time (is) permitted," as a temporary resident, you will not be ae to receive a second shipment, even if your "dependant" makes it., especially if he/she has be living in Argentina for six month and their residency is based on yours.

One shipment per family as far as I know.

Is the dependant is also a citizen of a Mercosur country? I think that will help with migraciones, and it might make a difference to the Aduana, but less likely regarding a duty free shipment after six months. It's certainly worth knowing if he/she an qualify for one duty free shipment at some point.

If my information is correct, Argentine citizens (and perhaps permanent residents) who have been out of the country for more than one year can make duty free shipments of goods they have owned for at least six months (but I am not 100% certain about the time limits).

As always, I hope others can add to or correct this infomation, especially about any "extra" advantage a citizen of another Mercosur country might have.
Thanks so much Steve.
We are also travelling with Dog - good to know others have done this also.

Thanks for the heads up to be really aware of what to bring as a tourist. I do have a medical need for air filter and my water filter is a camping type pump thing - most of our camping equipment is RV style, so hopefully no problems but I do really appreciate the very clear message that anything not appropriate could cause a denial of entry which would be utterly awful. I will take heed and only bring what we actually need for our initial RV adventure (which is actually the plan) and then pack everything else accordingly for transportation afterwards.

Thank you for clarifying on the timing of importation - that it is "six months after receiving temporary residency (not the date of your arrival)" and that we will have to post a bond to cover the duty. Am I right to assume that the bond will be paid back after permanent residency is applied (if that is the case?) Any ideas what type of formula I can expect for the bond amount? Thanks for letting me know I will forfeit the bond if leaving Argentina without the stuff - can one leave for a short trip without this forfeiture applying?

Your advice on shipment/s sounds correct and appropriate. I believe it is one shipment by air and one by ship on the same application that is permitted. I will try to confirm this and make a note here incase someone else is looking for that answer.

My dependant will also be eligible for Mercosur citizenship once mine is processed. They will join my temp residency application - if that's what we decide to do, although they may seek a seperate permanent residency once/if that time comes. They will be classified as 'independent' by then and as I'll be applying as Pensionado myself, its most likely they will seek a more suitable visa program - if needed. I can't recall at this moment if they are eligible with me once they are no longer dependant - but that's a way down the track so not front and fore-center for now.

Roger that!

Back