Ten Books To Have When Stranded On A Desert Island

I couldn’t do without at least fifteen favorite works.

2666, Roberto Bolano
THE D’ARTAGNAN ROMANCES, Alexandre Dumas
THE EMPEROR AND THE WOLF: THE LIVES AND FILMS OF AKIRA KUROSAWA AND TOSHIRO MIFUNE, Stuart Galbraith IV
I, CLAUDIUS/CLAUDIUS THE GOD, Robert Graves
THE AGE OF EXTREMES: A HISTORY OF THE WORLD, 1914-1991, Eric Hobsbawm
5001 NIGHTS AT THE MOVIES, Pauline Kael
THE CAIRO TRILOGY, Naguib Mahfouz
JOSEPH AND HIS BROTHERS, Thomas Mann
THE COMPLETE SHORT STORIES, W. Somerset Maugham
CANCER WARD, Alexandr Solzhenitsyn
THE MAKIOKA SISTERS, Junichiro Tanizaki
WAR AND PEACE, Leo Tolstoy
UNITED STATES: ESSAYS, 1952-1992, Gore Vidal
THE EGYPTIAN, Mika Waltari
LES ROUGON-MACQUART CYCLE, Emile Zola

Is that the one where the plane flies in every week with a new set of guests? One of my favorites by Bobby - a real page-turner!

No, I believe that was another of Stevenson's blockbusters: Fantasy Island (subtitled Dee Plane, Dee PLANE).

Joe Gillis, i've read most of the books on your list and some are also my favorites ,especially Roberto Bolano..
Also, you might like the following:
By Nigt in Chile - Roberto Bolano
The Savage Dectetives- Roberto Bolano
Distant Star- Roberto Bolano and Chris Andrews
Amulet- Roberto Bolano
I'm a big Bolano fan

Also Suspended Sentences : Theee Novellas - Patrick Modiano. A great read. His memory of his youth in Paris is amazing for locations, times and feelings.
Sepharad - Antonio Muniz Molina. I really recommend this one.
I could go on and on but won't. I think I have more books than friends or books are my friends.

I left a collection of about 500 books when I left the States as there just was no room in the container and I sorely miss them.

Joe Gillis, i've read most of the books on your list and some are also my favorites ,especially Roberto Bolano..
Also, you might like the following:
By Nigt in Chile - Roberto Bolano
The Savage Dectetives- Roberto Bolano
Distant Star- Roberto Bolano and Chris Andrews
Amulet- Roberto Bolano
I'm a big Bolano fan

Also Suspended Sentences : Theee Novellas - Patrick Modiano. A great read. His memory of his youth in Paris is amazing for locations, times and feelings.
Sepharad - Antonio Muniz Molina. I really recommend this one.
I could go on and on but won't. I think I have more books than friends or books are my friends.

I left a collection of about 500 books when I left the States as there just was no room in the container and I sorely miss them.

Many thanks for recommending Molina and Modiano. It's particularly good to have someone, finally, mention Modiano since I've yet to meet anyone whose has read his work. He was not well-known in the States prior to his winning the Nobel.

Yes, I love Bolano very much, and have read other works by him. He was a marvelous writer.

I know exactly how you feel about books, and they are my best friends. I, too, left a large collection of books in the States when I moved to BA. Don't laugh, but I actually cried when I parted with them! Nevertheless, I load up on books when I make trips to the US, and here in BA I've found the wonderful Walrus Bookstore in San Telmo to be a great source.

There's nothing in the world like to act of reading. As the old saying goes..."so many books, so little time..." Sigh.

Oddly enough, having just finished Life by Keith Richards which has to be the most badly written piece of dross I've ever read, I've plunged into 1984 again, perhaps as an antidote.

Back