thai cury pasta

Made Green Tofu Curry (from paste) Friday, with Jasmine rice (which can be obtained also in Barrio Chino).

The curry paste is cheap, its the coconut milk that is insanely expensive, i havent been able to find it cheaper than 15 pesos for 200ml, where i come from i normally pay the half for 400ml.

Barrio Chino has a number of items for Thai cooking however the better brands and in large quantities one cannot find in Barrio Chino at all. Mae Ploy is a better tasting curry coming in Red, Green, Yellow, Masaman, and Panang. These are the ones you need for cooking. Instead of coconut milk it is better if you use Coconut Powder. It is less fattening and you can make your same recipes for a lower cost too. I brought my supplies with me from the USA as I knew I was not able to find them here at all. All the best.

You can buy coconut milk powder packets very cheap in the super market in Barrio Chino. Packets come in a large box!

that is very true .. I do that.. I would not bring them from the USA at all .. it is the other ingredients which are not obtainable here for the taste and quality of them as having lived in Thailand too I know what I am seeking. Do you cook Thai food? or know places here in BA who are doing so now with great quality and realness? all the best. walter

The curry paste is cheap, its the coconut milk that is insanely expensive, i havent been able to find it cheaper than 15 pesos for 200ml, where i come from i normally pay the half for 400ml.

Yes the small 200ml bottles or cartons are usually around 15 or 20 pesos, which is insane. In Ireland you can get 400ml for less than €1.
But sometimes the shops in Barrio Chino, I can't remember which one, has the 400ml tins for about 15 pesos. I try to go and stock up but half of the time they're out of stock

You can buy coconut milk powder packets very cheap in the super market in Barrio Chino. Packets come in a large box!
This isn't just the dessicated coconut no??
have you used it to make curries?
is it nice? how cheap are we talking??

I just opened the box and used it. It's actually a big packet of powdered coconut cream. Not desiccated coconut definately! I'd describe it as the coconut cream equivalent of powdered milk. You mix a few tablespoons with hot water, stir it and add to your recipe. It definately enhanced my chicken tiki masala! But it is coconut cream, not milk (my error). Just means its a bit richer so you don't need to use as much. I believe it was about 70 pesos for a box that must make several liters but I'm not good at math so don't trust that. What I can say is it was very easy to use, easy to store, will keep almost indefinitely and produced good results. Bought it at the chinese Supermarket ( the first right hand turn off of the main drag halfway down the block on the far side. The place is like a candy store for people who like to cook Asian food. But many things are labeled in Chinese only! Either bring a translator or really look at the pictures on the labels! Good luck and let me know what you think. ,

Check the dates on everything you buy at Barrio Chino. All the peanut satay and tom yum mix I purchased were expired.
The little c-unts had smeared the dates off the bottles or replaced the label with a Spanish translation covering it with a different date.

Hell yeah, the coconut milk is getting really expensive now!

I substituted it for queso crema once, not a bad outcome for a 'poor mans thai curry'

Back