Thai rice in B.A.?

Robino

Registered
Now that I ve spent almost two hours browsing the infamous "pizza thread" (that digressed in a kind of interesting debate on food quality and divertisty in B.A.) I dare to spark another fierce debate with this simple question: Where can I find good rice in B.A.?

I haven t been here for a long time so maybe I m missing something but it seems that it s impossible to find imported rice from Asia. Although French I ve been raised in a family with asian roots and back in France I have to admit rice is one of the pillar of my diet (I eat rice probably between 2 and 5 times a week).

Until now the most "satisfying" rice I ve found here is the one which is branded "Thaismin" from the brand Gallo. It s not from Thailand but it mimicks the long grain shape. The taste is ok but it s not what I d call "permued rice".

So do you think a can get my hands on a big 10 Kg (5 Kg would be nice too...) bag of Thai rice somewhere in the city?

Thanks

Barrio Chino, Casa China. That store is my staple store for basically all imports. you should be able to buy Thai sticky rice there, and a host of other kinds of rice (basmati, arborio, WILD black rice, etc.). Aside from certain coconut products (specifically sugar, oil) the only thing they don't seem to carry are dry, wide Chantaboon rice noodles (they do frequently sell fresh, though!), but I just go around the corner to the Asia market (I think that's the name, can't quite recall) and get them there.

as Mizzmarr said barrio chino=everything, food, kitchen equipment, restaurants, all your basic needs.
Nancy

TomAtAlki said:
as Mizzmarr said barrio chino=everything, food, kitchen equipment, restaurants, all your basic needs.
Nancy

TomAtAlki is correct. They sell the best Nancy in town there. And Nancy definitely falls under Tom's "basic needs".

You can also buy sake (not Thai, but whatever), Thai Sweet Chili Sauce (I think that that's Thai), and fresh herbs like rosemary, mint, basil... And limes are less expensive than in many other places.

Back