Thatcher is back?!

thebookcellar

Registered
A UK thread...

So, a little bit of criminal damage at the Tory Party's headquarters?!

Is this the first of many reactions to the Tory cuts? Are we going back to the 80s?
Is this another case of saying goodbye to Labour, then realising they weren't that bad?
And Clegg the back-tracker and promise-breaker...

Thoughts?

Simple answer - YES !

Clegg - Before the election - signed the pledge to scrap University Tuition Fees - Promised to phase them out over 6 years.

Clegg - After the election (and his sell out for a touch of power as David Cameron's Fag) - Thinks that rather than scrap the Tuition fees, they should be trebled, much better idea. £9,000 per year to go to uni - Sounds fair to me.... NOT NOT NOT

Under Labout the country didn't actually do too badly at all, whatever some might say. Under the Tories (and their poodles in the Lib Dems), it will be the rich that benefit, and the ordinary majority of people who will suffer....

So long answer - also YES!

Of course Labour only look after shirkers and layabouts,and taxed the workers to death. That is why under a labour government we had such a weak currency and poor income that a poor working class lad from North Wales could afford to buy a property in Argentina.
I am still working, feel suddenly worse off and now fear for my pension.:eek:

You need to focus. Britain has much bigger problems than some little cuts. It's quickly turning into a total surveillance fascist country. Both, Labour and the Tories seem pretty comfortable with that.

You need to focus. Britain has much bigger problems than some little cuts. It's quickly turning into a total surveillance fascist country. Both, Labour and the Tories seem pretty comfortable with that.

To give credit where its due, the current administration has scrapped ID cards, and plans to repeal a lot of the more demented surveillance powers put into action under labour. Shall have to wait and see how it pans out long term, but its a welcome change of direction.

Aside from that - ugh. Just ugh. Apparently the future of the country isn't dependent on having a highly skilled, well educated workforce. 40% cuts to higher education seems unfathomable in the current climate. Am glad to be out of the country for a few years...

Saw a nice number crunch in private eye the other day.

7bn - cost of latest round of cuts to essential public services
7bn - expected bonuses to be paid in the city this year

Still, those banking types deserve every penny...

Rad said:

I'm sorry, but these cuts are not little.
I agree with the surveillance issue - and they are not cutting there. But the tories have a habit of creating social unrest. For me that is a day in day out big problem.

jp said:
Saw a nice number crunch in private eye the other day.

7bn - cost of latest round of cuts to essential public services
7bn - expected bonuses to be paid in the city this year

Still, those banking types deserve every penny...

another number(ish) crunch - the last time the british government made cuts on this scale was in 1918 (did we spend too much in Iraq?!?!).
Unemployment jumped from 4 to 10% in two years

thebookcellar said:
A UK thread...

So, a little bit of criminal damage at the Tory Party's headquarters?!

Is this the first of many reactions to the Tory cuts? Are we going back to the 80s?

I'd be surprised if people didn't react but what does the country do? To maintain spending at current levels we would have to continue borrowing and we're already up to our eyeballs in debt. The cuts haven't taken affect yet, I think it's scarey what might happen when people get really upset.

thebookcellar said:
Is this another case of saying goodbye to Labour, then realising they weren't that bad?

I think Labour must accept responsibility for the state we are in. They governed the country for 13 years. Didn't anyone in the governemnt at any time consider that public and private debt was getting a bit out of hand?

thebookcellar said:
And Clegg the back-tracker and promise-breaker...
Thoughts?

Given the state of the country I think we need an effective government. Given the result of the election that could only happen with a coalition and that requires compromise. Given that the Liberal Democrats are strongly committed to PR, which would more than likely result in permanent coalitions, I think they have a responsibility to show how such a system of coalition can be effective. Here is their opportunity, in my opinion, and they have to be pragmatic.

Back