The American Decline

jedard said:
Yes I am CDN. What I write here is based on what your American, newscasters, broadcasters and money mongers write about. I only report what they have to say.

So do you see yourself as some kind of watch dog for us here or are you just a parrot? In most of your posts you add your own opinions as well as the occasional distortion of reality.

jedard said:
I have publicly applauded Mr. Obama and even sent him my personal congrats via a fax. I reminded him how his forefathers were treated and hoped he can do better than the white leaders we have had.

I am sure he knows how "his forefathers" were treated, but you seem to be ignoring the reality that his father was not a descendant of slaves and, in fact, really was an AFRICAN from Kenya. His mother, I'm sure you know, was WHITE...not that it should matter.

You actually used the word "we" when you criticized the "white" leaders Senator Obama will follow. As you are Canadian, why did you use the term "we" in that sentence?

jedard said:
As for the term "Global Village", I don't think it is necessary to teach anyone that term. It has been around since the invention of television. I guess the reader never went to school.

The term "global village" originally applied to the mass media and the effect of television on the world's ability to get the facts quickly. Now it is a term that implies a world without borders as the world embraces collectivism.

I have a University degree in economics (from Illinois).

jedard said:
As for the reference to Milton Friedman by the person from ORD, and your attorneys reply. I guess, where ignorace is blissed tis followed to be wise. The whole world knows about Friedman and how he controlled the US government for personal profit.

When you learn to post without so many misspellings you actually may be considered somewhat less an example of ignorance.

Milton Friedman is still one of my personal heroes for his advocacy of a truly free market economy, which, unfortunately, has never been fully implemented, even in the USA. I also greatly appreciate his influence on Richard Nixon in ending the US military draft, saving me a trip to Vietnam.

To say that Friedman "controlled the US government for personal profit" is sophistry.

jedard said:
And by the way, the Argentines have never forgotten what Milton Friedman or as they put it, the Americans did to them.

Milton Friedman advocated policies that encouraged free markets. He clearly recognized the problems created by government intervention.

Argentina has always had meddling, corrupt politicians who never gave anything like a free market the slightest chance. Did the US force Argentina to borrow the 93 billion dollars that it defaulted on in 2002?

jedard said:
I am not trying to insult anyone from the USA or anyplace. My comments are mostly from learned, intelligent persons who are American by birth. So I guess it is ok for them to make a statement but others should not.

Those learned, intelligent, American born persons you quote clearly have anti-American, anti-capitalist agendas with which I disagree. As you align yourself with them you are just as subject to disagreement from others as they are.

jedard said:
If I have insulted anyone from the USA, then perhaps one should contact CNN or Reuters and tell them to stop saying false things about your country.

They don't care about the truth anymore than you do. As a result I find them insulting, especially when they were gushing over Senator Obama during the campaign. I wonder, does Chris Mathews still have a thrill running up his leg?

jedard said:
Some very learned American born financial strategists like the one who wrote the info I posted have predicted what will happen. One thing for sure is that the American Empire, like the Roman Empire has fallend apart.
Perhaps we can live in peace now.

If the fall of the Roman Empire was so desirable, why is the period of almost a thousand years that followed commonly referred to as the Dark Ages? Was it a time known most for world peace? Not in any history book I've read.

Is that what you want?

Please, be careful what you wish for.

You just might get it.

Jedard, it's all well and good to point your finger at the States and rejoice in their fall when Canada has so far skirted the storm. However, if the US and others don't bail out the Big 3, there goes Ontario, and with it, Canada.

The CAD is already taking a hit and with the fall of the auto and manufacturing industries, we (as in CANADA, as in us, because like you I am Canadian) will go down the toilet with the rest of the world. I don't think you'll be so happy then, especially if you have any intentions of returning to Canada in the future and getting a job.

The CAD is tumbling pretty rapidly, against the USD and the ARS -- 8 weeks ago we were enjoying 3:1 against the peso -- and apart from a few blips here and there had enjoyed that for the larger part of the year. Now it's at 2.6:1 -- I don't think it's been that low since 2006.

You forget in all your "good byes and good riddance" to the USA Empire that you might as well say goodbye to a strong loonie along with them. I doubt you extracted all your funds and RRSPs etc from Canada when you moved down here, so I think it's a little early to be acting smug.

To me is seems that Jedard is a Michael Savage wanna be that has no sense of internet etiquette. We are all supposed to say "Wow!!! Jedard can surf the internet, copying, paste other peoples material"

He rarely quotes the sources of his material other that saying CNN CNN CNN. And we are supposed to not question it. Personally he can do me a favor and post URLS instead copying and pasting pages of text and claiming that he has had an original thought.

Steve? Why do you bother arguing with him?:rolleyes:

steveinbsas said:
Argentina has always had meddling, corrupt politicians who never gave anything like a free market the slightest chance. Did the US force Argentina to borrow the 93 billion dollars that it defaulted on in 2002?

I should have acknowledged that the terms of those loans were not favorable to the Argentine government, especially the one that required repayment.

TheGreatOne said:
To me is seems that Jedard is a Michael Savage wanna be that has no sense of internet etiquette. We are all supposed to say "Wow!!! Jedard can surf the internet, copying, paste other peoples material"

He rarely quotes the sources of his material other that saying CNN CNN CNN. And we are supposed to not question it. Personally he can do me a favor and post URLS instead copying and pasting pages of text and claiming that he has had an original thought.

Steve? Why do you bother arguing with him?:rolleyes:

At my age, the mental gymnastics make me feel like I did when I was in college and "arguing" with Jeff Jones and Mark Rudd. Jedard is certainly not their intellectual equal by any standard. Even then, Jones and Rudd were mental pipsqueaks.

syngirl said:
Jedard, it's all well and good to point your finger at the States and rejoice in their fall when Canada has so far skirted the storm. However, if the US and others don't bail out the Big 3, there goes Ontario, and with it, Canada.

Sorry, I never had an RRSP, those were for the foolish. I never bought into anything my government tried to sell. I spent 39 wonderful years working in the most democratic country in the world.
I am now enjoying every day that I worked here, living like the life of a King.
As for the loonie, I am sure you are know who the market works. I am sure you know that Canada has been kissing the rear-end of the USA for a long time. I think, if memory serves me that PET, was not one who succumbed to that unpleasant act.
The loonie is being compressed because the experts out there are shorting it and making a lot of money in the meantime. And just recently Mr. Harper came out and supported that fact by telling the Market that a deflated CDN dollar is good for business. Now how is that for support.
Do not worry, the greenback is going to fall and we will see a stronger CDN, in fact the CDN has been doing very well against other currencies, not-withstanding the greenbacks strong under-inflated strength.

As for the support of the Auto Industry, let them sink, any bailout is only going to do one thing, delay the inevitable. They are going down. I think the proper route would let them file go into Chapter 13, file for bankruptcy and then reorganize as a new company.
The USA and certainly Canada cannot support that kind of bailout, no matter how many jobs are on the line.
I am sorry but that is the truth.
For all my American friends out there who search for the truth, please buy Naomi Klien's book, the Shock Doctrine. She is another great CDN. Or Galeano's book Open Viens of Latin America for starters

Barbara,

I am sure when this is all over we all will survive, the USA, Canada, Argentina and the rest. If history has taught us anything, it has shown us we are survivors.

I don't agree with the experts, (I have never admitted to being one) that China will be the next empire, regardless of the fact that they hold almost 2 trillion US$ of reserves. I believe that the final resolve to all of this will see a better world, a place where perhaps Mr. Obama will play a key factor in making mankind rely on each other to survive, to save the very air we breath. We will know that in a very short time, say 3 to 5 years.

Just take a long look at the history of Argentina, the atrocities they have survived through 5 centuries. They go on living today, still smiling, still breathing, not easy but they do.

Canada is a rich country, strong, and still very young. It is not even over populated as such.

The world leaders are now gathering strength and no longer will pander to the United States iron will, such as, "do as I say or do without." I see Mr. Obama as recognizing this long before he decided to run for President. He will definitely be a major player in this meltdown. We all need to adjust, and so we shall.

In my posts I seem to have energized a lot of strong feelings. That is good. My posts were based on facts, not fiction. Perhaps I may be guilty of changing some words here and there, however the facts were correct. It is fortunate for many that I did not elucidate as to the Argentine's who suffered as a result of the CIA supported whole-heartedly by many note-worthy names , in the name of greed.

For those whom I seem to have agitated, my information comes from a group of the best financial experts in the world. All of which I pay a large subscription fee.

My Argentine born wife has asked me to stop trying to push the truth and let those who come here find there own path as it has been reported, if they are so inclined. It is not easy to accept that at some point we find that our country has not been the guiding helpful light we all thought it was to be.

So I once again refer anyone who is interested in the truth to read Naomi Klein's best selling book published in over 25 languages around the world. And I am proud to say she is a Canadian as I am.

To this day I am advised that no one, not even the President of the USA has challenged her on what she has written, the most alarming, disturbing factual history of GREED!

Good luck to all of you.

ps: It was very rewarding to read your responses. And now back to making cookies.
Jedard :)

henryb said:
Yeah, that's useless. Jedard attended this Argument Clinic .

Why do so many Americans hate the truth and run off to other countries?
Not long ago I met 3 nice chaps from Chicago who were trekking around here. They all had backpacks with the Canadian Maple Leaf on them?

Back