The cons of living in Bariloche

According to one of my friends who has lived there for 10+ years:

There are quite a few tourists to navigate through in daily life. Particularly June through September.

And if you like to go swimming in lakes, be prepared for some chilly water!

On the other hand, it's a good place to admire God's country.

No food variety, much more limited air travel options even in normal times, shitloads of tourists, everything comes from BA. To me would be a boring life.

Would be good if you are into rustic type living and enjoy isolation and outdoors. Overall, I don't mind spending time there but I wouldn't want it to be a full time thing

No food variety, much more limited air travel options even in normal times, shitloads of tourists, everything comes from BA. To me would be a boring life.

Would be good if you are into rustic type living and enjoy isolation and outdoors. Overall, I don't mind spending time there but I wouldn't want it to be a full time thing
Nice job J - Tourists and the great out doors = Bariloche

I think it’s a crazy place for all the reasons above. I prefer to stay on the other side of the lake where we are protected by the mountains.

I had the opportunity to live in Bariloche for a couple of months, after the "corralito". What I noticed was that people, in general, were ripping each other, a lot of envy if someone was able to open a store or even was able to have some success in the middle of the economical crisis. I was dissapointed, since I had had the opportunity to go for the first time, nine years before -(around 1993)- and -at that time- I had found a completely different place (and people). Besides that, politically talking, it is a kind of "feud", like many other places in Patagonia.
You cannot get what you want (garments, shoes, for example), they are very limited in that sense. And when you get something good is extremely expensive. People from there go to BA often, just to stock themselves with the stuff they need and cannot find there. Renting or buying is also very expensive.
As villagers say: "it is the price we pay to live in the postcard"....
More cons than pros for me. Fun until the honeymoon is over...

I believe, the famous and respected poster of BA expats, Perry lives there permanently.

Perry, will you like to enlighten us about the positives and perils of living there?

Back