The cons of living in Bariloche

Expensive, flaky internet, too many tourists in normal times, not a huge amount to do in winter even if you ski (I do, but not every day), plus it's cold and windy,

Why Bariloche and not Villa la Angostura or San Martín de los Andes. I was there briefly in warm weather and they were lovely.

If he doesn’t want the easy way out Dina Huapi is the place. A small community outside Bariloche with only the basics and even more wind. But it’s cheaper than Bari.

Is July a good time for a holiday there?

Which hotel I must stay? or is airbnb a better choice?

Activities to do?

BankNote, do you like rain? No, it’s like visiting Sweden. You gamble and sometimes winter is fine, other times it’s really bad with rain every day. And did I mention the wind?

I try not to go to Bari in winter so truly I’m not a reliable source but I imagine horizontal rain. Maybe I’m just extrapolating from Villa and I’m wrong. At least the majority of the streets are paved and not mud puddles from hell.

Expensive, flaky internet, too many tourists in normal times, not a huge amount to do in winter even if you ski (I do, but not every day), plus it's cold and windy,
Flaky Internet for sure. In Villa the top that you can buy is 10 mb. But, then again my husband works for IBM on 4mb. So, you know, what do you really need? And lately he works, the children do online school and I teach on 4 mb. And we survive, barely ….

Flaky Internet for sure. In Villa the top that you can buy is 10 mb. But, then again my husband works for IBM on 4mb. So, you know, what do you really need? And lately he works, the children do online school and I teach on 4 mb. And we survive, barely ….
My experience about the internet is second-hand, I'm sure you know better. I've got a colleague out in Bariloche who needs to work remotely, multiple videoconferences per day, screensharing with colleagues here in BA and so on. The internet seems to go down for hours (or even days at a time), and not infrequently it's not good enough to hold a VOIP call. Not sure which provider (I can find out) but it seems to be difficult to get service personnel to fix problems too.

When I was there at the end of August 2 years ago, yes, the rain was horizontal, the wind off the lake was bone-chilling, up in Cerro Catedral it was all white and Alpine-style romantic, but down by the lake it was grey and slushy. Not quite as bad as Sweden where your tyres will freeze if you leave the car parked outside, but still fairly grim.

I’m lucky enough to have a fiber optic connection so the only threat is someone digging up the cable.
They are probably on a point to point connection on a mountain. I have students who cannot carry a zoom call if it’s raining. To much interference.

Back