The cons of living in Bariloche

What do people usually eat in restaurants in Bariloche?

Beef
Pasta
Pizza
Burgers
Empanadas
Milenesas
papas

The same thing they eat everyday.

Folks from outside BA don't understand how limited the typical restaurant menu in the rest of AR is. I already know what 95% of places will have before I go in. Trips to BA for us are now basically centered around getting international food options.

Flaky Internet for sure. In Villa the top that you can buy is 10 mb. But, then again my husband works for IBM on 4mb. So, you know, what do you really need? And lately he works, the children do online school and I teach on 4 mb. And we survive, barely ….
Ah ok then Bariloche isn't an option for me.

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL very true
Fiscal, I have read a lot of your posts, you have a lot of tenacity and patience. You are one determined person who doesn't avoid controversy or take the easy way out. My best advice would be to learn how to fold your cards and cut your losses on occasion. Otherwise, you are tough.

The comments here remind me of the Australian cartoonist, First Dog on the Moon. He's always telling readers that his beloved Tasmania is dreadful.
Just a couple picked at random:
Footer: Tasmania - You probably think it's lovely but it isn't

Last frame: Don't move to Tasmania as it's awful here

And there's plenty more like that: check out https://firstdogonthemoon.com.au/

I spent 2020 in Bariloche. Well, about 6 months there, and 6 months 20 min away in Dina Huapi. There is a fiber optic line in town, but I had trouble tracking down an apartment or house that had it (renting).

I believe I was able to get 12 mbps, though the slow latency to the United States made one of my two remote jobs impossible. I adjusted to the additional delay on calls for my other gig. The 4g was pretty similar to US 4g, so I was able to use my hotspot when internet slowed or stopped.If I went back, I'd look into Starlink, but Im not sure that's an option yet (I think i saw a thread of on BAexpats once). Zoom meetings worked, but resolution drops and the aforementioned one second delay. My use of a VPN didn't help matters.

We lost electricity in Dina Huapi about 10 times in 6 months, but for never more than 6 hours, and it averaged closer to 2 hours an outage.

Lots of tourists prior to March shutdown. There are upsides to that, but it's quite crowded in summer. I felt safe when there were tourists, as well as during lock down when there were none. I found the customer service at retail and restaurants better than the few weeks I've spent in BsAs. All in all, I was treated pretty well, no significant issues with people trying to get over on me. I do speak fluent Spanish, and my girlfriend is Argentine (not from BRC).

Let me know if you have questions. Lovely place. I look forward to returning one day.

I live in El Bolsón which is about 120km south of Bariloche. We usually only go to Bariloche to do tramites (paperwork) or to pick up people from the airport! The surrounding areas are beautiful - the mountains and lakes but the city itself can be intense with traffic and people including a lot of tourists! If you have a vehicle to get around there are a lot of amazing places to visit.

Back