The country that is feeding you

I agree with Ramon's statement..." this country was founded on immigration and Argentina needs a different outlook and way of relating to the world". "This culture of blaming others is a huge downfall of the argentine character". I think it may be a 21st century disease, not limited to Argentina.
But Ramon - "I am all for having a more just and fair society where all citizens here pay their taxes and care about others". " When Argentines of the upper classes start paying their taxes and
also pay better wages so its most vulnerable citizens can have a chance
of a better life things will not change in the longer term".Ramon -Please give a viable example in the world where this characterization may apply today.

Hi gracielle if you live in Argentina you would know that their are gross differences in wages between people.
The mimimum wages that people pay are very low compared to most societies . That to me creates resentment and is the reason that in many service industries in Argentina the service can be very bad.
Its a silly system in many ways when you walk into some shops there are more staff than needed all doing nothing and getting paid maybe 220 american a month .
Woudnt it be better to pay more make the staff more efficient and proud and also have a streamlined workforce working collectively as a united team

"ramon" said:
Woudnt it be better to pay more make the staff more efficient
My guess is that if the staff will suddenly become twice more efficient, it means half of the people will get fired. What are they going to do? Build settlements in Patagonia?

I live and work in BA. I agree with you, Igor. I think that even if the gov't offered land grants and 30-yr loans to build homes in the provinces, there would be few takers. I have young friends, who received a land grant in Neuquen in 1996. She is a chef and he is a tour guide. With a no interest gov't loan, they built a posada with the help of family and friends. Today they have a profitable business. But they have had a hard time finding skilled labor. They even tried to recruit workers from BA for the tourist season with little success. They offer room, board, training and a decent wage. The only takers have been young British and Irish expats. By the way, it has worked out very well. They now have a waiting list of seasonal employees from abroad.

yes ramon, it would be so great to have Mc Donald's-like employees everywhere...always smiling soooo nicely and friendly and asking you soooo kindly if they may help you...

malbec what a cynical response to huge problem in Argentina today It seems that you prefer to have sullen employees paid 3 pesos a hour l

"bigbadwolf" said:
This is, incidentally, the conundrum Argentina finds itself faced with: it missed the boat a long time ago, and catching up with established and emerging industrial powers has become well-nigh impossible.
I am not sure I would like this country to catch some boats, there are some nasty ones out there... I only wish we can graciously sail a boat and not sink.

"nikad" said:
I am not sure I would like this country to catch some boats, there are some nasty ones out there... I only wish we can graciously sail a boat and not sink.
Argentina has some things going for it -- it's not all doom-and-gloom. Firstly, it's not too tied in to the global economic system, which to my eye increasingly resembles a house of cards. Secondly, it's sparsely populated and can feed itself without too much difficulty. This should stand it in good stead when various environmental catastrophes -- just around the corner -- occur.

A roaring YES to BBW's comments. Argentina maybe part of the new "Noah's Ark"....unless we miss the boat again.

Back