The Mini Big-Bang

SaraSara

Registered
Well, CERN finally has succeeded in creating its mini black hole, and we are all still here.

However, the collider is operating at half-power at this time, so maybe we'll be atomized when it finally runs at full power. Something to look forward to...!
icon_lol.gif

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/31/scien ... lider.html

Well, I don't think a mini black hole was created - yet :) Had that happened, I think we would aleady be hearing about a lot of possible breakthroughs like inertia-less space drives and space warps!

I was saddened when they mentioned the Texas Superconducting Supercollider - a project that I can remember being cancelled (I'm from Texas) a couple of decades ago. We could have already been doing this if the US hadn't dropped funding back then.

But at least scientists have a place to do this now - I'm looking forward to seeing some really cool stuff come out of this research in the next decade or two!

Previously, the largest supercollider was American : Chicago's fermilab

The European one will be 7 times more "energetic" (powerful ? I don't know what adjective applies to TeV-tera electrons volts) reaching 14 TeV (14 millions of millions of electrons-volts).

What represents 1 TeV ? The cinetical energy of a flying mosquito ! But this energy will be concentrated like never before.

The particles launched within the accelerator will almost reach the spped of light.

A fantastic adventure is taking place

It is very exciting!!!
I almost feel that excitement when in a beginning of 20's century Mr.Henri Becquerel and later Mrs. and Mr. Curie discovered nuclear radioactivity.
And we all know about that excitement in practical use: Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

pikto99 said:
It is very exciting!!!
I almost feel that excitement when in a beginning of 20's century Mr.Henri Becquerel and later Mrs. and Mr. Curie discovered nuclear radioactivity.
And we all know about that excitement in practical use: Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

and radiography, and cures for cancer, and nuclear energy ...

Progress always has a Janus face

Back