The Montevidean Temptress

Montevideo is the most boring city of Latin America.

That depends on your objectives in life my friend. When you have goals boring is good because it is stable and focused especially when the power does NOT go out and you have open access to money and open financial markets with rock solid super fast internet. And their are plenty of parties here you just have to be well in the mix so to say.

I have heard to get residency in Uruguay is very difficult...a process that will never culminate. Try doing a search here on that. Or maybe Pensador, who lives there, can enlighten you/us

If you are stable and have the income requirements it will go down without issues in less than one year. They did seem selective and questioned motives. I do not blame them for that. If I was surrounded bye the mess of Argentina and issues of Brazil I surely would not be handing out residencies. I was even questioned on my semi frequent sometimes lengthy international travel. But produced the business records to justify it and it was no longer a problem.

I cannot comment for those that are not prosperous. I am sure it makes a difference in the process. But all the expats I know which are all prosperous had no issues.

She's got me. I'm steadily increasing my interest in making a jump over to Uruguay. I spent a month out of the 6 months since I left the US in Montevideo/Punta on a work trip, overall the vibe of the city seemed to be a better fit for me. But the quality of life and the general climate also seems much better when I think about taking care of myself long term. Plus, BsAs would never be too far away.

I'm going to take one of the upcoming Argentine holidays, when it's not a holiday in Uruguay, to go and present my CV. That way I can also get a better grip of what my opportunities there could be (a local friend told me that he'd take me around and to my shock, apparently that's how you do it - even with multinational companies - haven't done that since I applied at Starbucks in high school...).

Once again, I'm reaching out to you wise, foreign-country-braving folks for some tips.

Several questions -

Anyone know much about Zonamerica? My friend has several friends working there, it seems like a great place to work overall, with a lot of big companies there. However, it's hard to find out much about the companies that are there - I come across more and more that the website makes no mention of every time I look around.

Is it very difficult to get a job there? I'm young, I've got a US college degree in Business Admin/Marketing, and am a native speaker of both English and Spanish. Is that a leg up, or I am just another one there to add to the pile? The main benefit for me is they have a competitive pay in USD, and I could work for a multinational - seems to broaden my horizons a bit. I'm fond of broad horizons...sometimes it's a little too cloudy and can't see far here, if you know what I mean.

Any good, reliable forums like BAexpats?

Anyone with experience in Montevideo, and specifically in Zonamerica?

All advice welcome!

Happy Sunday.

There is excellent money here in IT and yes it can be boring for the party lovers but I guess that depends on you. I like walking out my door at 6AM and surfing alone in front of my house. To me that is priceless. But I have a wife and I am not much for the party scene and I hate the drama and hypocrisy of civilization. Then again I love the Asados with the educated Uruguayans who seem to be allot like me. And really if you love the party life I will bore the hell out as I my lifestyle is not party focused. I like my toys but I did not obtain them partying.

FYI permanent residency can be obtained in Uruguay simply by buying and holding (not sure the specified amount of holding time) $100,000 USD in 10 year Uruguayan government USD denominated bonds. Obviously all documentation must be in order and no criminal records, etc etc. For those interested in fitness/gyms, Club One Wellness in Montevideo is FAR better than any gym in Argentina OR Brasil. Montevideo now has non-stop flights to Miami (AA) and Madrid (Iberia) along with flights to many Latin American cities. As mentioned, the internet, electricity and financial infrastructure is FAR superior to what is available in Argentina.

Yes, the gyms here are a far cry from what they should be for a city of this size and caliber. I go to the Megatlon in Alto Palermo because it's the nearest, and it's ridiculous that a gym for such a populated area in such a big city is so tiny and mediocre.

But it's not just about the gym. I could drive a car there (as in I would never even try and drive here, and I drove over there as if I was still in suburban NC). I would love to have that freedom that I miss. And my friends in Montevideo come here frequently - it's very inexpensive for them. I wouldn't be missing out and it's not too far away. It just seems that being an expat with family scattered about, and needing to travel and manage my currency in dollars, it's an easier place for me to be.

Thanks all.

http://www.you.com.uy was great when I was in MVD state of the art but $100 USD a month. I was hitting it hard there double session for about a year best in early AM and then the early afternoon before if gets populated and even then it was not to bad.

I tried to convince my wife for years to move to Uruguay but finally gave up on it. The pace of life there is more to my liking.
Who knows, It still might happen.
I'm particularly fond of La Pedrera.

And lets not forget... you can get Lobster tails here. And all kinds of things you can only dream about in the repressed opressed mess on the other side of the river.

I tried to convince my wife for years to move to Uruguay but finally gave up on it. The pace of life there is more to my liking.
Who knows, It still might happen.
I'm particularly fond of La Pedrera.

The coast going north is just untouched and the climate is perfect at least for me. I never turned the AC on this summer warm days with cool breezes and cool night perfect for Asados. Asados in the sand at night on abandoned beaches with friends and family. Really ideal location for a family in my thinking.

Back