The Mule Pool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol at this one :
C Burson Buenos Aires, Argentina an ice cream sandwich 06/30/2011 US$1.00 See More

poeticion said:
...quality goods at their intended prices.

Intended prices? Puhleese! If you mean cheap, why don't you say so? Manufacturers and distributors are not paternalistic benefactors intending to bless the masses with their bounty and the days of manufactured goods being marked up on a cost+ basis are long gone. The intended price is either what the local market will bear or whatever it takes to gain market penetration or whatever the marketing department or government regulation say it should be.

Everybody who moves stuff that should be declared across borders without doing so knows they are breaking the local laws (I hold my hands up for this too) but it seems like crossing a line when a commercial enterprise is set up with the express intent of doing this.

The intended price is either what the local market will bear or whatever it takes to gain market penetration or whatever the marketing department or government regulation say it should be.
=========================

Actually the intended price for a good is also know as MSRP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suggested_retail_price. That little four letter word means it has a retail value that the manufacturer INTENDS for it to be sold at. As for countries and laws....ehhh if I'm English and I want a good from England that is legally available to bring on an airplane then it will be done.....because it's LEGAL. LOL. I will pay the taxes and fees associated and avoid the (keywords) hassle and cost of the Argentine system. Nobody is talking about avoiding customs fees for bringing things. Besides, if you are an actual expat in BA why not shave 2500$ off the cost of that HDTV by buying it in your home country and just pay the 1000$ they'll rape you at the border for? For resourceful people like those who use mules it will always be a win.

"Duh" -Charlie Sheen

MorganF said:
Hey Jvanka -- yes, that's true and an excellent point: no one would want to mule an iPad for $5 !!! However, here's what's been happening: a lot of people have been posting with high/reasonable fees -- but Mules have been snapping those items up within moments! Therefore, the ones left listed on the site are only the ones with low commissions. This is a (minor) problem that we haven't yet figured out how to solve...

morgan

hmm.. a solution: show all "snapped" items on the listing for a set period of time (a few days), then expire the listing. That will show visitors the activity/demand, and help sell the site's service better. Show also how quickly the item was "snapped" to prompt low commision buyers to increase their pay.

anyways, the site looks great. congrats and good luck!

maybe the site could have a guideline of fees. like a whatever percentage of the actual cost of the goods to start, and from there up. Then you can get rid of all the people posting, wishing for a free deal. Kind of like a reserve commission price, so someone wishing to get something knows that at least they have to offer XX amount.

I just completed my first transaction using MulePool (I was the mule) by bringing in a camera for someone. It was relatively easy. Morgan, one of the coowners of the site, is still working out the kinks as the site is only a few weeks old. I think it has great potential. I will continue to monitor the site for high paying comissions as I come into Argentina regularly every month from Miami.

Hi All,

I have been coming to BA since 2004 with the intent to move here permanently next March. In the past, I have volunteered to bring things for friends and friends of friends. I also posted my willingness in BAExpats.org where some Expats took advantage of my offer.

I did this without compensation. It was done because I can appreciate those who miss, or lack, their favorite foods, or other items, and know that when I am living here I would be in the same situation and would hope others would help me.

Then I was alerted to Mulepool and was happy to become a mule for quite a number of Mulepool participants for the first time just this month. I did not do it for the commission but to help others (I believe in Karma)--the commission was icing on the cake that compensated me for the very insignificant inconvenience that a mule might experience.

While Mulepool is in its infancy (still in Beta) everything worked extremely well and is designed to protect both parties!! I met several people involved with Mulepool and was very impressed with their integrity and enthusiasm. I believe they have a great idea and wish them much success as their success benefits all Expats desiring something from abroad.

I intend to be a mule again upon my return in a few months and am excited to know there will be a way for me to have those things not available in Argentina when living here next year.

I suspect all Expats are in this situation and would benefit from Mulepool as a buyer, I would think many would also want to be a mule for others, periodically.

If anyone would like to know more specifics regarding my experience send me a PM.

Suerte
Brucemj

Everybody who moves stuff that should be declared across borders without doing so knows they are breaking the local laws (I hold my hands up for this too) but it seems like crossing a line when a commercial enterprise is set up with the express intent of doing this.[/quote]

Agreed..I often feels as expats we have a god given duty to teach the locals how to be law abiding citizens in the small stuff as this begets a more law abiding community as a whole HOWEVER maybe we`re looking at things the wrong way round and we expats need to learn from the flexibility of Argentine law and not be so rigid. I`ve never been averse to buying pirate DVDs on the streets of many large Intl cities but to find Bsas websites who let you order such online and DELIVER such to your door now thats advancement/bare faced cheek/idiocy/genius....Mule pool is a great idea. It obviously has a market - why not..if this is the worst type of criminal activity happening in BsAs then its a happy city.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
zeno Expat Life 0
M Expat Life 4
L Expat Life 1
chico Expat Life 0
ben Expat Life 8
Back