The Mysterious Pipers of Palermo

antipodean

Registered
OK, I am not going quarantine crazy... just yet.

But, for years I have noticed people on bikes or foot with little carritos making these loud sounds with a pipe-flute or something as they go down the streets in Palermo. Typically it is one long blast followed by a few shorter blasts at different notes. Very distinctive sound.

Anyone knows what they are selling / collecting / signalling?

Door to door knife sharpener probably. Does it sound like this?
Yes! Thank you!!
This has been a BAs mystery to me for years. Finally I can sleep at night .. and get my knives sharpened.

Just my 2 cents as a novice aficionado of kitchen knives and sharpening: Hard pass on these guys that go door to door especially if you have anything even remotely considered decent steel. You're better off tracking down your nearest local shop that sharpens (sometimes key makers/ferreterias do it as a side gig) or better yet find a pro sharpening shop. The door to door guys rarely have decent equipment or know-how. More often than not you'll be left with scratched up knife after a rushed job and a differing price than what you heard through the portero. Obviously this is anecdotal evidence. I'm sure there are some good ones, but generally their reputation is tarnished from my and my friends' experiences.

Just my 2 cents as a novice aficionado of kitchen knives and sharpening: Hard pass on these guys that go door to door especially if you have anything even remotely considered decent steel. You're better off tracking down your nearest local shop that sharpens (sometimes key makers/ferreterias do it as a side gig) or better yet find a pro sharpening shop. The door to door guys rarely have decent equipment or know-how. More often than not you'll be left with scratched up knife after a rushed job and a differing price than what you heard through the portero. Obviously this is anecdotal evidence. I'm sure there are some good ones, but generally their reputation is tarnished from my and my friends' experiences.

I will definitely second this advice. In my sad experience, these guys are thieves, con artists, and very poor workmen. They will mess up your knife, and then try to charge you five times the agreed upon price. If you do not want to pay, they will make a huge scene and cry about how they are a poor working man being ripped off by the rich yanqui.

Es el "afilador". You bring your scissors and knives to be sharpened.

Anyone knows what they are selling / collecting / signalling?
[/QUOTE]

I will definitely second this advice. In my sad experience, these guys are thieves, con artists, and very poor workmen. They will mess up your knife, and then try to charge you five times the agreed upon price. If you do not want to pay, they will make a huge scene and cry about how they are a poor working man being ripped off by the rich yanqui.

This happens often to Foreigners that don't speak Spanish..!! Try going to a good Ferreteria... !

Jed and Possum are right. A lot of these guys do a piss poor job and also try to charge you more than was agreed upon. I'm sure there are some good ones out there, but not worth taking the chance with a random pied piper.

There is also a popular scam involving them, and faking a misunderstanding on the price. Once the job is done, they keep asking more money. When you resist, an accomplice appears to suppor his pal. At that point, you are in trouble and have to give them what they want or else... Stay away!

Back