The Mysterious Pipers of Palermo

It happened to my FIL ten years ago and to my husband last year. Both born and raised here. And I read about it on local FB groups, too.

It happened to my FIL ten years ago and to my husband last year. Both born and raised here. And I read about it on local FB groups, too.

It must true, however have not heard Pipers in Palermo in the last ten years..??

It's quite common to hear Pipers in small cities in the Provincia. Pipers on a bike that rotate the sharpening wheel on pedal power ...!

I only own very common knives from Coto , never new there is a technique to sharpen knifes?

If you cook frequently I highly recommend purchasing a nice chef knife. A good, properly sharpened knife just makes things so much easier and fun. It is also much safer. A dull knife may or may not cut the way it should.

As for sharpening, it is a world in itself and if you're not into it you can just swing by one of the pro sharpening places around town and you'll be good for 6 months if cooking often, possibly longer, especially if you maintain the edge with a honing steel.

Starter western style chef knives: Victorinox, Zwilling, Wusthof
Starter Japanese style knives: Tojiro
Starter sharpening stone: King 1000 grit

I started sharpening my own knives, bought the tools , watched some videos. It's good to learn new skills especially now in the current social distancing environment.

I see them around my neighborhood too. The tradition goes back almost a hundred years. Some of them are legit. They work with local restaurants and butcher shops. But like everything else it also attracts the low end of society. It’s an easy way to make a few bucks with low level skills. My advice is not to argue with men that have sharp knives.

Last edited:
Back