The real truth about what a US dollar costs here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
kenjoachim said:
Yesterday I went to my bank (Santander Rio) to ask about buying or selling US dollars. They told me if I had a password account with AFIP or permission to buy US dollars, I could do so, otherwise forget about changing my money........what you see in the newspaper or in banks is not the truth.

Banks aren't allowed to sell you u$s unless you have 'permission' from AFIP. How is that not telling the truth?

The transactions done at the Casa de Cambio will be without documentation,therefore illegal.... I'm not saying it doesn't happen.

kenjoachim said:
Yesterday I went to my bank (Santander Rio) ...........
kenjoachim said:
Today I also went to a ¨Casa de Cambio¨ on Avenida Florida. I know the owner and he has always given me the best exchange rates over the years.

If you have bank account in Argentina and have been going to a Casa de Cambio for years, I find it hard to believe that you have been walking around with your eyes closed for so long and only just found out the 'real truth'..?

kenjoachim said:
Perhaps for you it is not new, but for other newcomers it is. I love it when people appolgize for something and then do it anyway. You are RUDE!!

Your title of the thread suggests you have found a hidden treasure. I guess I could have explained myself slightly better and highlighted that there are various threads in the main forum which discuss and have discussed this matter at length and would have thought fairly clear to see. Apologies you were offended. Welcome to BA Expats.

Don't be so sensitive Ken. Not like your life depends on people's opinions here. You think your thread was worth writing. Well good for you. I know the thread is redundant but whatever floats your boat!

kenjoachim said:
I think someone even said the place I go to is illegal..............He has a business license that is controlled by AFIP, so to say his money exchange business which is so public is illegal., ...

Who said the place you go to was illegal......

jez said:
The transactions done at the Casa de Cambio will be without documentation,therefore illegal....

In order to get the best rate you won't be given a receipt because it is done off record..ie. illegal...

I didn't say the place was illegal

If you understand that then you will probably understand why Iznogud said

Iznogud said:
Not wise to publish the guy's name and phone unless you have his authotization.

I also suggest you delete this guys details form the post and only give it to people who ask via PM...

I do not mean to be rude but please delete the contact information of that person. I know of two places where I used to sell dollars that were closed down by AFIP. You are not making anyone a favor but the government posting the contact information.
Welcome to the forum.

kenjoachim said:
Give me a break!!

To be honest, I don't have so much time in my day to read weeks and weeks of forum posts. I read some and that is why I commented. I simply shared my experience to help someone else. I didn't know that to contribute there were rules to this, as some people have implied.

You certainly have enough time in your day to write long-winded repetitive posts, though. Give us a break !

kenjoachim said:
Wow, I can see some people on this forum have a real attitude and are not very nice!

Anyway, I am glad to give the information of the exchange house that I have used over the years.

Hi, do not take it personal if people complain. People tend to have some predictable behaviour on forums. One such thing is that if you start a new thread with the same topic as an active thread, you get complaints. When you made your post, the following thread was active at the forum: http://baexpats.org/expat-life/23179-peso-blue-rate-40-above-bank-rate.html. I guess people's reaction would have been more appreciative if you posted your comments there.

As other people said before, please remove the contact details of the exchange house on the forum. Everyone can read it. If AFIP gets to know about it, they may pay a visit and you will lose your exchange house. Only send the contact details in private messages to people you trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back