The Reason

fred mertz

Registered
Every once in awhile I pick up a copy of LARAZON at the Retiro on my way to Casa China. I'm wondering where else this "free" ( for 25 centavos) paper is distributed?

Should be free. Are you charged 25cents by a person who found it and is reselling it? That, by the way, is a good reason to pay for it.

I think it's only given out in Retiro but perhaps some other subway stations (9 de julio?)

That paper really pisses me off. It's free so why wouldn't they take advantage and fill our heads with good news? Do we really need more toxicity (after a day at work)? No. Are advertisers ging to stop advertising? No. Are human beings gluttons for punshment? Yes.

I asked one guy who were handing them out and he said to pay as much as I wanted. I wonder if that's how the workers handing them out get paid.

The homeless and peope who live around Retiro charge for it (which is how they make their money), but I would assume the people who hand it out "fresh" by the stackloads are paid by the newspaper.

La Razón, Clarín, La Nación...all of them belongs to the Grupo Clarín, also they were the ones to get hold of Papel Prensa production when dictatorship was king in this country, in fact the CEOS of those three newspapers were the ones how took over by coercion and intimidation of the original proprietors with a little help from their friends, the military junta.

Actually Papel Prensa produce 170.000 tones per year, from which 100.000 tones are for Clarín, 40.000 tones for La Nación and the rest 30.000 tones for the rest of all the newspapers in Argentina, that will give you an idea and perspective of the monopoly on the production and distribution of the printing paper in this country.

Some references, when Papel Prensa S.A. was founded the Cronica newspaper was selling 700.000 papers per day against 300.000 of Clarín, after the takeover Cronica will start to decline and nowadays only sell 10% from those numbers.

Now you can see why they can afford to give away La Razón as a freebie for their propaganda against this government.

The only question that I asked was where can I get this paper. Nothing else. I feel very good that I am able to pay 25 centavos and next time in honor of JoeBlow I will gladly pay 35 centavos. If you don't like the paper, don't read the paper.

Lucas, I hope you are joking and do know that La Nación is a separate company... But I am sure that you have a theory about that as well.

I wonder how Grupo Szpolski can afford to distribute more copies of the free "El Argentino" daily government propoganda piece?

In answer to the subject, La Razon can be got for free at Retiro and at other train stations (as well as Plaza Italia sometimes), and actually says that it cannot be sold. However in various subway stops, especially 9 de Julio, Diagonal Norte, Carlos Pellegrini, it is collected and then handed out for change. I honestly would never pay for either of the free papers, because they are both that biased.

Back