The Spanish 'R'

I was like that years ago when I first took Spanish in high school. My teacher was Chilena... she was pretty brutal.

Anyway I couldn't roll my Rs... so in front of the entire class of 25+ she made me sit there and say Butter Butter Butter Butter over and over again... it's supposed to train the muscles.

Say it over and over again and eventually convert to more of a rrrr noise -- the place where your tongue hits when you say butter is the same position you need for a rolled R. (I'm not a speech therapist, sorry my explanation sucks!)

so it didn't work at first but it did eventually, today I can roll my Rs with the best of them. Butter butter butter r r r rrrrrrrrrrrr!!

so train that lazy tongue!

Butter butter butter butter

i use to be able to do the who 'R' thing pretty well, then i got my tongue pierced and it all went slightly pear shaped from there! :) the ball on the top of my tongue really got in the way, it sort of stops my tongue from being exactly were it needs to be.
I never heard about the whole 'Butter/Ladder' thing I might try that, my teacher gave me a poem that had all these 'R' words in them to learn, it makes no sense but it sounds awesome when someone fluent says it

I find the French R almost impossible.
Although I find the French language one of the most beautiful in the world.

I learnt french first (from the time I was born), so the french arrr used to be a lot easier for me than the errre -- now when I speak french I find it hard to shove my Rs back into my throat!

syngirl said:
I learnt french first (from the time I was born), so the french arrr used to be a lot easier for me than the errre -- now when I speak french I find it hard to shove my Rs back into my throat!

You should listen to me saying "Barbaro"... It's so ridiculous :D

Or me saying poquitou :)
I have to say, the sexiest thing is French women speaking English. The accent.
I simply melt.

erocifeller said:
After numerous years of living and travelling in Latin America I have a decent grasp of Spanish.

That being said, I still Anglophobize the Spanish 'R'. I have no idea what the hell is going on.

I practice word games, and my speech path girlfriend attempted to save me, but I seem to give up after a few days due to frustration. Lately it seems to be getting worse ... somehow.

Any super tips? :D

Hola, we have an English-language podcast about life in Buenos Aires, with one expat host and a local host. We talked about your post on the pronunciation of the R on our latest show. If you want to check that out: www.bacast.com

Saludos!

Back