The Sunday Asado...do you like?

UK Man

Registered
I was out in the garden this morning with the dogs - freezing it was too - and was overcome with the smell of asado coming from my next door neighbour. This was well before midday and I was still in my dressing gown and slippers. During my 11 years here the Sunday lunchtime asado is the one practice I have refused to go along with. I did once suggest to my wife I'd cook one and to invite her mother along but being old school she assumed it was going to be served no later than 1pm....I changed it to dinner instead.
Sundays for me means a lie in and lounging about in my jammies until midday at least. How anyone can prepare, cook never mind eat an asado before 1pm is beyond me.
Is it normal practice for locals or is it a tradition that's dying out?

I cook asaado on Sunday's, Saturdays, as well as Mondays Tuesdays...... Nothing better than grilled meat.

I marinate the meat in exotic spices overnight, and the asado is even more delicious.

The other Sunday lunch tradition is raviolis. Look at the queue of customers trailing out of your local fresh pasta shop on a Sunday morning and you will see just how popular they are. We are Sunday lunchtime ravioli people in our household though we do the occasional asado at other times

Don't get me wrong I love asado but eating it at midday is just not on even when someone else cooks it. :D
3pm on a Sunday is the earliest I can stomach it. Not too keen on Ravioli at any time of the day to be honest.

The exotic spices seems interesting...I like the sound of it but the wife would slaughter me if I did that.

I think your problem is you are going to bed to early. On Saturday night, when the main band goes on at 4am, its no problem to still be awake at noon on sunday- thats how Portenos do it. To be ready for the Asado, just skip that 9am breakfast pizza at Kentucky.

I think your problem is you are going to bed to early. On Saturday night, when the main band goes on at 4am, its no problem to still be awake at noon on sunday- thats how Portenos do it. To be ready for the Asado, just skip that 9am breakfast pizza at Kentucky.

You could well be right.
My mother in law is a bit of a night owl whereas I am most certainly not. :D

I am not sure how you eat your asado UK Man. Typically families will get together around 1-1.30 pm for Sunday asado, yet traditionally an asado is served in stages ( +/- 3 ). So people will eat a bit of salami, cheese and olives as a starter. Then they would start with chorizo, morcilla and salchicha parrillera. After that you will get tira de asado and chinchulines / rinones / mollejas. Then you will get vacio and or bife de chorizo. After that you will get dessert and maybe coffee, so a Sunday asado can last about 3 hours... families will then share some afternoon mate + facturas or so. It is a lot of food, and so you need time to eat and digest all of that.

Back