The true face of the Bolivarian Revolution

bsas

Registered
I'm just curious how opinions on this board range of the recent support shown by Chavez to his friend Qaddafi. His television station telesur, had, at one point, the only foreign journalist to be allowed into Tripoli, and published pieces that downplayed the tense situation.

When Chavez speaks, he doesn't just convey his own opinions. Rather, he is the spokesman for the Bolivarian Revolution. So when Chavez throws his support behind the Qaddafi regime, he is showing the true face of his vision of the Bolivarian Revolution.

If the time ever comes when the people of Venezuela decide they want to go a different direction, will we see the same type of violent response from the network of neighborhood militias that Chavez has set up around the country? Will Telesur report of mobs of drugged men who are brainwashed by the United States trying to destroy the Bolivarian dream, as the Libyan state station has done?

My opinion is that this support for Qaddafi shows the violent extremist potential of the Bolivarian Revolution, and should be a huge red flag to supporters of Chavez around the world. Giving up on Chavez doesn't mean that you have to give up on those worthwile goals of helping bring people out of poverty or fighting for the environment.

But it's just the opinion of one guy who must be high on some sort of hallucinogen...

bsas said:
I'm just curious how opinions on this board range of the recent support shown by Chavez to his friend Qaddafi. His television station telesur, had, at one point, the only foreign journalist to be allowed into Tripoli, and published pieces that downplayed the tense situation.

When Chavez speaks, he doesn't just convey his own opinions. Rather, he is the spokesman for the Bolivarian Revolution. So when Chavez throws his support behind the Qaddafi regime, he is showing the true face of his vision of the Bolivarian Revolution.

If the time ever comes when the people of Venezuela decide they want to go a different direction, will we see the same type of violent response from the network of neighborhood militias that Chavez has set up around the country? Will Telesur report of mobs of drugged men who are brainwashed by the United States trying to destroy the Bolivarian dream, as the Libyan state station has done?

My opinion is that this support for Qaddafi shows the violent extremist potential of the Bolivarian Revolution, and should be a huge red flag to supporters of Chavez around the world. Giving up on Chavez doesn't mean that you have to give up on those worthwile goals of helping bring people out of poverty or fighting for the environment.

But it's just the opinion of one guy who must be high on some sort of hallucinogen...

Downplayed the situation? The media is saying that there is nothing wrong and everything is fine...it's insane.

What's more, did you see this???

"Trípoli se encuentra en paz", tituló Télam
www.lanacion.com.ar‎"Trípoli se encuentra en paz", tituló Télam | La agencia estatal, citando a Telesur, asegura que en la capital no hay "ningún tipo de enfrentamiento" y que en las calles vitorean a Khadafy; más tarde tomó distancia y, desde el encabezado, aclaró que se trataba del reporte del corresponsal de la cade

What's even worse are there are outrageously stupid people that believe this shit.

Show me the post where someone on this board voices support for Qaddafi.

And while you are at it. Can you provide some evidence that Telesur actually does what you claim?

And no, Venezuela won't go the same way as Libya because Venezuela is a democracy with free elections. If they don't want Chavez, they will vote for someone else. His popularity has been falling a lot recently so it can soon become reality.

And not sure why there is so much talk about Chavez and Qaddafi. Berlusconi and Qaddafi seem to be a lot closer, yet no one on this board mentions that. Berlusconi also continuously breaks the law in Italy and gets away with it by giving himself immunity. Yet somehow it is Chavez who is the dictator.

xibeca said:
Show me the post where someone on this board voices support for Qaddafi.

And while you are at it. Can you provide some evidence that Telesur actually does what you claim?

And no, Venezuela won't go the same way as Libya because Venezuela is a democracy with free elections. If they don't want Chavez, they will vote for someone else. His popularity has been falling a lot recently so it can soon become reality.

And not sure why there is so much talk about Chavez and Qaddafi. Berlusconi and Qaddafi seem to be a lot closer, yet no one on this board mentions that. Berlusconi also continuously breaks the law in Italy and gets away with it by giving himself immunity. Yet somehow it is Chavez who is the dictator.

I didn't say that anybody on the board supported Qaddafi, I said that Chavez continues to support Qaddafi, thus showing the true face of his Bolivarian revolution.

As far as Telesur, I'm not sure what type of 'proof' your looking for. I'm using what they have written, and I suppose you'll actually have to read what they write and compare it to what other press agencies and witnesses are reporting, and then make that monumental leap of deciding for yourself who is reporting the truth. Telesur published on the 24th that Tripoli was completely calm and peaceful, while the rest of the world's media reported that there were chaotic scenes and people fleeing the city. Which do you think is more reflective of the truth and which is more reflective of the propaganda arm of a fascist regime?

Who cares about Berlusconi, or Bush, or Chairmain Mao? This is a thread on the implications of Chavez's vocal support of Qaddafi and how it reflects on the ideals of his Bolivarian Revolution. It would be easy for him to speak out on the violence and call for Qaddafi to allow free elections, yet he hasn't.

Here's a quote from Chavez. I'm sure you'll have a hard time finding anything similar from any other world leader, other that other friends like Ortega calling his 'brother' Qaddafi to offer his moral support.

Chavez said on Feb 24, via his Twitter account"
"Vamos Canciller Nicolás: dales otra lección a esa ultraderecha pitiyanqui! Viva Libia y su Independencia! Kadafi enfrenta una guerra civil!!"

I hope that Chavez will step aside when the time comes. However, his support for Qaddafi and his 'civil war' suggest otherwise. Why do you think Chavez will simply just leave office when he has thrown his moral support behind a dictator who is massacring his people?

Nowhere in that quote do I see that Chavez supports Qaddafi. I think this is about some debate they had in the National Assembly. Where they Canciller Nicolas said:

En Libia se ha iniciado un proceso de guerra civil". "Repudiamos la violencia, pero hay que analizar el conflicto libio con objetividad", exhortó.

I couldn't agree more. Nothing is black and white and especially not the situation in Libia. Now because Obama is calling for invasion of Libia, a sovereign nation. Knowing that, it makes more sense that Chavez tweeted that. Although personally I think he should have phrased that differently.

bsas said:
Telesur published on the 24th that Tripoli was completely calm and peaceful, while the rest of the world's media reported that there were chaotic scenes and people fleeing the city
I'm not sure what type of 'proof' your looking for.

Well if they published it on the Internet, surely you can find their article claiming that so we can compare it to the other western media articles that you say is saying the opposite. And I just watched Telesur and they were reporting from both sides. Opposition and Qaddafi supporters. Nowhere did I notice any bias towards a certain side.
Speaking of bias, in the western media that I have read, you are fed the story that it's the people vs Qaddafi. Now if that is true, how come I saw images of thousands people rallying to his support on Telesur? To me, it seems more like you are being misled by western media, and not Telesur.

bsas said:
Who cares about Berlusconi...?

Berlosconi is relevant because according to western media, he is the closest friend Qaddafi has. Now Chavez is only relevant to you, because you happen to dislike his policies. You try to connect dots because you want them to be there, not because they are.

bsas said:
Why do you think Chavez will simply just leave office when he has thrown his moral support behind a dictator who is massacring his people?

U.S presidents voice their moral support behind dictators who massacres their people all the time. They knew Mubarak tortured and murdered people, but they had no problem supplying him the weapons and training for him to do it. So with your logic former U.S presidents should still be in power today.

Well that is fine. I appreciate you expressing your views, but I simply disagree. I am sitting here watching Al Jazeera, which has reported many deaths in the past few days in suburbs of Tripoli. Telesur reported that there was absolute calm in the city. Someone is telling the truth, and someone is lying. We will probably find out the truth at some point.

The 'revelation' that Berlusconi is a capitalist pig who will do business with brutal dictators is not shocking, and is certainly no surprise to anyone. The US also does business with military regimes? Again, not a shocking revelation. But pointing out the faults of the 'evil empire' does not address the issue at hand, which is why Chavez has shown his support to Qaddafi, and what that means about the core values of his vision of the revolution.

Well I disagree with you too when you say that Chavez voiced his support for Qaddafi.

Al Jazeera, which has reported many deaths in the past few days in suburbs of Tripoli. Telesur reported that there was absolute calm in the city

Well maybe Telesur was referring to the center of Tripoli where the thousands of Qaddafi supporters were rallying. Just because there were reports of violence in the suburbs doesn't mean Telesur were lying when they reported it was calm in Tripoli itself. And they could just have been wrong, journalists are humans, we all make mistakes.

What I do find interesting though is how western media is not covering Qaddafi sympathizers at all. I was surprised when I saw that footage on Telesur.

Also, keep in mind that the use of disinformation is standard operating procedure for the CIA in situations like this.

Nevermind whether Chavez cares for the Libyan people. Does he care for his own?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-12604642
"A prominent trade union leader in Venezuela has been jailed for seven years over a strike in 2009 at the state iron ore mining company.
Ruben Gonzalez was convicted of crimes including unlawful assembly, incitement, and violating a government security zone.
Mr Gonzalez, a former supporter of President Hugo Chavez, has accused the government of criminalising protest in Venezuela."

xibeca said:

I would debate the issue of free elections. Chavez has tried almost every trick in the book bar a coup to stay in power, bullying the courts to ban opposition members, packing it with supporters and doing anything he can to make it hard for anyone to oppose him in the democratic political field.

Gadaffi and Chavez are different people brought together by geo-political circumstances and a loathing deep down of what they see as Western imperialism. Thankfully Chavez has not gone down the route of callously firing on his own people to retain power but if the machinations of the democracy in Venezuela, which in the past number of years he himself has damaged the foundations of decide to go against him, he might find similar harsh measures to retain power. I can't right now see him, if that happens, firing on his own people but he has shown a contempt of opposition that could hint at that.

Gadaffi is an evil man, a man who in the past sponsored terrorism, began a clandestine nuclear programme, kept his people under an official authoritative dictatorship who has now begun to ruthlessly butcher his own people for the grossly selfish reason of staying in power to retain his family-based kleptocracy in Libya. The man needs to go. Chavez, for all his ills is not even half the evil personified that Gadaffi is.

Back