The Two Latin Americas

Im sorry, I meant they re losing Chile with centre left Bachellet and her potential reforms and maybe joining Uruguay and Argentina (surely if Macri wins)

Chile is too commited to the Pacific Free Trade agreements with Asian countries with vast potential for trade, would have no potential to join Argentina and Uruguay. Bachelet is no fool , she worked for the trade with Asian countries

Chile is too commuted to the Pacific Free Trade agreements with Asian countries with vast potential for trade, would have no potential to join Argentina and Uruguay. Bachelet is no fool , she worked for the trade with Asian countries

More likely is that Argentina finally drifts back to the world than Chile jumps on board the insular and rapidly sinking ship of protectionism.

Miss your point? :confused:

werent you guys saying Argentina is an isolated economy? I said that commerce with Brazil and China has grown a lot and in fact are major associated of Argentine commerce. Both countries, top ten world economies, explain a huge percentage of argentine GDP (which has multiplied for 3 during the last ten years). If Im not wrong the commerce nubers of Argentina grown a lot these last years.

If I missunderstood and I am saying cualquiera, then Im sorry.

I'm not sure if it's Matías' point, but it would seem that the old cold war argument of being "isolated from the world" is playing more and more on deaf ears as as US hegemony decreases. Thus in what US Secretary of War Henry Lane Stimson used to call "our little region over here that never bothered anybody" the US is now the one who is isolated, while countries like Bolivia, Brazil and even Cuba are more internationally connected to the international community. Witness, for example, the recent coup in Honduras or the last election in Venezuela; in the past the US would have had support for its stances from the entire region through the OAS; now there was uniform disobedience to the lines set by Washington. Or just check out the yearly vote counts from the UN on the Cuba blockade and try to figure out who's the rogue nation.

The US still is by far the most powerful country on the planet, but it's not what it used to be, and ties between South America and China or internally between South American countries are huge signs of this decline.

The US still is by far the most powerful country on the planet,

I wont even say is that powerfull. The Us and Europe have an annual deficit (each!) with China for over 200,000 million dollars.

The only way they still rule the world (by far) is military, but Im afraid that will change soon, its a matter of time I think, since China is more powerful economically (and they have 4 times more population.... just picture them making weapons like the US in WWII, working day and night).

Culturally the US are in total decadence (but still has some power, like making every single cable tv on Latin America and Europe to have their channels). But there are big counter culture against the US all over the world...

Politically, they have lost some power, but they still have a lot. They dont control the world as in the 90s, but they have big political actors with huge weight in every national scenario, in Latin America, in Africa and of course in Europe. US embassies around the globe still operate and can change national scenarios, like they are doing in Colombia, like they do in Europe right now...

Anyway, apart the Mercosur, Unasur and Celac, Latin America has a new card to play, which is China. That gives the continent some liberty, some posibilities, also the Sur-Sur axis, commerce with South Africa, Angola. It has a great future.

Clearly we are in a transition, like happened in the 20s with the UK and the US. Hope this wont end in another war.

I wont even say is that powerfull. The Us and Europe have an annual deficit (each!) with China for over 200,000 million dollars.

The deficit is irrelevant. The U.S. could pay the debt with China by just adding a few zeros to the monetary base. Voila. Of course, that would essentially make China's savings worthless and probably provoke the third world war... Any country competing with the US for influence on the world stage would like to end dollar hegemony. I am sure CFK dreams of it, in fact. However, the consequences would be pretty dire for both sides.

When you want to talk about who is more powerful, look no further than who has the most influence over oil-producing states, i.e. the Middle East/Western Asia, Latam, Canada, etc. Those who control/influence the world's oil production control the world economy. It is the fundamental ingredient of any functioning economy. (Does anyone really think that Washington's issues with Iran are fundamentally based on its nuclear program?) Follow the oil/resources, folks.

The deficit is irrelevant. The U.S. could pay the debt with China by just adding a few zeros to the monetary base. Voila. Of course, that would essentially make China's savings worthless and probably provoke the third world war... Everyone would like to end dollar hegemony, but the consequences would be pretty dire for both sides.

When you want to talk about who is more powerful, look no further than who has the most influence over oil-producing states, i.e. the Middle East/Western Asia. Those who control/influence the world's oil production control the world economy. It is the fundamental ingredient of any functioning economy. (Does anyone really think that Washington's issues with Iran are fundamentally based on its nuclear program?) Follow the money, folks.

Its not only that. Thats important, but whats the oil for? for industry, and which countries are de-industrializing while some country is growing its industry scandalously?

Look:
http://es.gizmodo.co...lo-d-1043329293

Back