The way money amounts are written is baffling me....

studiodio

Registered
sometimes amounts are written as 35.423,32 other times there is no period, only a coma before the last two numbers 35423,32 ???

then, for example, western union today lists one dollar as 348.3000 with no coma

I am totally confused!

And you created a tread for that????
You got this, just think of 4th Grade!

They reverse the placement of the comma and the period. It takes getting use to. Just like Celsius instead of farenheit, and telling time in 24 hours instead of am and pm. We adjust. Change is normal.

What's strange is using a dollar sign for amounts is pesos!

You got this, just think of 4th Grade!
I don't thiink I was ever aware of the fact that anything but a comma could be used in a number to separtae thousands until I was well beyond the fourth grade,,,by about 47 years (after arriving in Argentina in 2006).

Even now, I frequently use a comma instead of a period when writing or typing a number that exceeds 999 pesos.,,,as well as use a period instead of a comma to designate centavos.

I guess everyone has to get used to it and that's all. Same thing when we go from Argentina to the USA. The difference here may be made by technology and the way machines are programmed by humans. It's only exercise for your brains.

They reverse the placement of the comma and the period. It takes getting use to. Just like Celsius instead of farenheit, and telling time in 24 hours instead of am and pm. We adjust. Change is normal.

What's strange is using a dollar sign for amounts is pesos!
Yes! I truly hate the use of a dollar sign too!

Back