This Weeks Crazy Bureaucracy Story.

Yea, the funny thing about labor here is that if you work for a private company, the government (courts) are usually on the worker's side.. but if you work for the government itself, all bets are off. :p

My brother in law once had a government job where he worked for months without pay. It seemed insane to me... but he wasn't the only one. It was supposedly a new position and office... and the promise was a stable position with pay in the future. In the end it was only 5.000 pesos (and a 2 hour drive!) so he quit after he finally started to get checks and the retro-pay.

Oh yes, let me clarify, if my employees were out 3 days or more, they just had to bring the cert with them when they returned to work. I never required them to bring it while actually sick!! And honestly, less than 3 days, I didn't even ask.

That is really insane, I would be totally POed on your wife's behalf too. Hope she feels better soon!

This is one reason I went back to the US, rather than finding another job here: Argentine bosses. I only had one in my time in AR, and fortunately he had worked many years in the US. But even he was always making arbitrary decisions just to show he was the "jefe." Other groups with other AR managers had it much worse.

Hope your wife feels better.

Thanks. Yes the bosses are pretty horrendous here. She actually has to get authorization (ie stamp) from the office manager to get things from the stationary cupboard. Need an envelope, you`ll need a stamp for that, ha ha

Yea, the funny thing about labor here is that if you work for a private company, the government (courts) are usually on the worker's side.. but if you work for the government itself, all bets are off. :p

My brother in law once had a government job where he worked for months without pay. It seemed insane to me... but he wasn't the only one. It was supposedly a new position and office... and the promise was a stable position with pay in the future. In the end it was only 5.000 pesos (and a 2 hour drive!) so he quit after he finally started to get checks and the retro-pay.

That's true. My friend is a construction engineer and works privately as well as for the government and sometimes he'll construct something and wait for a year to get paid.

Pretty standard here. It's a double edge sword and both parties are to blame. Too many people here abuse the system because they don't like to work which leads to an overreaction because the boss feels like he is being duped. Unfortunately when real cases like your wifes happen; she has to deal with the overreaction from others acting dishonest. It's a vicious cycle and the honest like always lose out and end up having to jump through more ridiculous hoops.

This is one reason I went back to the US, rather than finding another job here: Argentine bosses. I only had one in my time in AR, and fortunately he had worked many years in the US. But even he was always making arbitrary decisions just to show he was the "jefe." Other groups with other AR managers had it much worse.

Hope your wife feels better.
Argentine Managers....that is an oxymoron. I've worked around these clowns. It's worse than turning the clock back 50 years.

Back