Three Months in Recoleta

jpearl

Registered
Hello, My wife and I are looking at apartments in Recoleta for next January. We have found one that looks like a match for our needs. It is located on Parera Street between Guido and Quintana. Anyone have knowledge of that specific area of the city? We have submitted a proposal on this apartment with Buenos Aires Habitat.com. Please feel free to give us feedback on this site and/or particular area. thx....JPearl

Nice around...I live right around there. Very safe neighborhood. Not the cheapest in terms of food/shopping but overall nice.

Yes, a nice area. I live just up the street. Pricey area though and the chetos are everywhere.

Fancy, expensive and so so beautiful!!! Besides being safe generally speaking, it is very conveniently located regarding to cultural and night life.

Traditionally that location has been one of the most expensive ones of the city.

Isn´t this taking "planning ahead" to the extreme? I wouldn´t make any arrangements, until next October or November. Somehow, I think that there 25 vacation rentals for everyone who is looking. What if you change your mind? That´s 1 of 100 "what ifs".

Fred, It seems like a number of apartments that we were interested in have been booked, even at nine or ten months out. How about the question of location in Recoleta? Do you have a comment that could help with the decision on location? thanks much..

You are asking Fred, however I would like to say that you are going to stay at a very hot spot of the city if you decide to take it. By any chance, did you try google earth to view the area?

Its certainly a nice area- but it really depends on you, and what you are like.
Personally, I find the area a bit stuffy and pretentious.
You will not see a valet parking cars, or a uniformed doorman, practically anywhere in BA, but you will see one a block away from that apartment.

Lots of fancy stores, and I mean FANCY- Louis Vuitton, Versace, and Prada are all steps away.
If thats what you want, you picked the right place.
The suntanned gentleman wearing the $500 sunglasses that zips around town in the silver Porsche Carrera convertible will probably be your neighbor. And one of the joys of Buenos Aires, to me, is that there really is only one of them- I see him every once in a while, flaunting his $200,000 dollar car. (import duties on cars are very high)

However, I find the soul of Buenos Aires is more about funky corner bars that you can imagine not having changed since 1940, more about street life of flower stands, kiosks and coffee bars, about people who arent wearing furs and rolexes.

There are lots of neighborhoods that are just as safe, close to the subway, and nice, but that have a lot more democratic life on the street below- even a few blocks over towards Santa Fe, or up towards Park Las Heras, in Barrio Norte, and suddenly you have take out empanadas, corner pizza places, locksmiths and picture framers and hardware stores, instead of Gucci, Pucci and Fiorucci (I know, there is no more Fiorucci, but it rhymes.)

The only place more soul-less would be Puerto Madero. Which to me would be torture, like living in a condo in San Diego...

If you do end up renting that place, as an antidote, you should buy this book and try to hit 3/4 of the places in it for a drink and a snack.
http://www.littlebookroom.com/authenticbuenosaires.html
Buy it now, and dream a bit.

Back