Tips For Road Trip On Uruguay Coast

Iwaslukky

Registered
Hello, I wanted to ask for any tips for a 4 day road trip I'm planning for the uruguayan coast in february (the week after carnaval 16-20 february). The idea would be taking the boat from BA and renting a car from either montevideo or Punta del este and go driving along the coast. We are in our mid 30s and are looking for chilled beaches, no party, off the main track places. I already know Punta del Diablo and Cabo Polonia and they are OK but was thinking of some places less popular.

Thanks guys!

February is best because Punta del Este is more quiet , i like Jose Ignacio, la Mansa beach or Gorriti island.

there are lots of little fishermen villages, mostly inhabited in winter but full of people in summer. Aguas dulces, Valizas, La Pedrera, Santa Teresa, Castillos -wich actually is not in the coast.
It is changing and growing a lot, year after year, and there are almost no places without (internal) tourism. Uruguayans preffer Rocha than Maldonado (where Punta, Jose Ignacio, Piriapolis, etc are) as well as some argentinians do. It is very hippie chic, and full of young people, surfers, etc. Only La Pedrera and La Paloma are for older people.

You ll find it expensive and touristy anyway.

Ok thanks for all the tips guys! Does anyone know if my European drivers licence will be enough to rent a car in uruguay or do I need to get something international? Thanks again.

I think you should be okay, Tom just uses his Seattle license when renting cars in both Argentina and Uruguay.

Your query was answered in the travel section of La Nacio´n last Sunday. I cannot put the link here but you can go to La Nacion´s website and search: Rocha La Costa Prometida . You will find the article there. Buen viaje.

I've done similar three years ago and used my then current but tatty "old fashioned" UK licence - not the modern EU one - and this was accepted by the Hire Company. I think it was Avis certainly one of the international ones at Montevideo airport not local.

If you like architecture/wacky art places then try to make time to spend a couple of hours in the impressive and bizarre Casapueblo a homage to the artist's son who survived the Andean crash.

I've met the old guy and he is fun

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Casapueblo

BTW take digital photos of all parts dated stamped before accepting hire car - useful should you have to argue on return

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jantango Expat Life 1
A Expat Life 7
F Expat Life 12
F Expat Life 9
jantango Expat Life 11
Back