To Dni or not to Dni?

jeff1234

Registered
I'm going to be here for 2 more years.
Does it make sense for me to get a DNI?
So far the only benefit seems to be lower airfares leaving from BsAs.
On the other hand the consensus seems to be to avoid contact with the gov't whenever possible.
(I searched the forum but am still left with these questions).

jeff1234 said:
I'm going to be here for 2 more years.
Does it make sense for me to get a DNI?

Yes, it does. Read the forum. Many useful thread on the topic.

It also depends on whether you want to be 'under the radar' or not.

Gringoboy said:
It also depends on whether you want to be 'under the radar' or not.

Thats what I want to know. Does it make sense to step into the radar by getting a DNI?

There used to be lower airfares on domestic travels in Argentina but not anymore (or not as much as before) if I'm right.

According to me, it doesn't make much sense having a DNI in your situation.

I finally got a DNI this year after 11 years here, and only because the migraciones guy told me I was breaching my permanent residence conditions by not having one and I could have problems next time I travelled.
Before I even got the blasted card I had received a letter from the AFIP telling me they thought I should be paying income tax and needed to go in and see them!
That's my experience of coming into the radar. :(

A very excellent and thoughtful question. I have been advised by most to stay under the radar. Applied for and am waiting for my DNI....

I like having a DNI. The main benefits are that you can work anywhere (as an employee or monotributista), you can have have a bank account, you don't have to leave every 90 days (or pay the fine if you don't), you can travel around the Mercosur area without paying the reciprocity fee (I entered Bolivia and Chile with my DNI and therefore saved over $100USD each time), cheaper health insurance, you can enroll in any public school....I think those are the main perks. Plus it's just nice to know you're legit.
I think most don't do it because it actually isn't necessary, you can live here just fine without being a resident

em618 said:
you can enroll in any public school....I think those are the main perks

Just a small correction.

You can enroll in a public school in Argentina with any ID (a foreign passport is fine), even no documentation at all. They cannot refuse a school age child's enrollment for lack of documentation, immigration status or anything else like that.

Unless you qualify for a permanent DNI, it makes no sense to apply for a residency because it is the best way to get, later, a deportation order.
A student visa that means over 3 years studies is ok too. Regards

Back