To the US contingent on here - Bank/Dollars Question

Ronnie Hotdogs

Registered
I'm travelling to the states in a few weeks and have approx. $5k USD in either $50 bills or marked/old $100s.
Can I walk into any bank and change them for fresh benjamins?

I'm travelling to the states in a few weeks and have approx. $5k USD in either $50 bills or marked/old $100s.
Can I walk into any bank and change them for fresh benjamins?
I doubt it. Most banks would want you to have an account with them.

Buy something for $5k cash and return it?
In Las Vegas may be.

In the rest of America, if you try to pay with a hundred-dollar bill, the cashier will probably freak out and call for a manager.

Another way may be to request the exchange at 5 different banks.
You may have a better chance when only asking to exchange $1,000 at each one.

most likely if you call a bank, rather than just drop in, you could arrange it. these days not all branches would have that much in cash without advance notice. I mean, they have cash, but not an extra 5k for a non-customer.
but yes, it totally would be easier if you had an account. Do you have any friends or relatives with US Bank Accounts?

If you are staying at hotels or Airbnbs, contact them in advance and ask if they can help you. If they can't, try contacting other hotels and Airbnbs suggesting that you might book with them if they are willing to help.

i agree with azgirl. most banks know the problem exists. why not open an account, deposit the money, and withdraw all but 100.00 to keep the account open. wellsfargo is always looking to open accounts

Back