Today Is The Last Day For The Ba Herald

chris

Registered
Today is the last day for the venerable Buenos Aires Herald. Not clear if there will be a weekly print and/or online edition. You can go online for a full explanation of what has happened.

I rarely bought it and when I did it was a waste of money as I'd already read most of the news beforehand through online means. Still sad to hear though.

Martin Gambarotta's column was always excellent. I also enjoyed Pablo Bardin's music reviews and James Nielsen's column. There were some interesting profiles and community news and announcements that cannot be found elsewhere. The demise of the paper leaves a gap.

http://www.thebubble.com/robert-cox-what-happened-to-the-herald-was-like-a-car-crash/

[background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]-[On Monday], out of the blue, there was suddenly long list of the charges that have been brought against [former president] Cristina [Fernández de Kirchner] which was fascinating because they had avoided doing this type of thing before.[/background]

[background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]-I don’t know whether that very strange change in tune means that there will be more independence. The important thing for any journalist is to have independence: it’s never total, of course, but it has to be there. I suppose what happened is that the people at the [/background]Herald[background=rgb(247, 247, 247)] had to follow the line and lost some of their readers. It would have been reasonable enough for journalists to stop being so-called [/background]militantes[background=rgb(247, 247, 247)] [i.e. activists] and just be journalists.[/background]
[background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]
-So you consider that the Herald had a streak of periodismo militante [activist journalism]?[/background]
[background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]
-Yes but those are silly words, aren’t they? If you work for the Communist Party newspaper, you all work together for its ideals, but if you work for a proper newspaper, you don’t have that, or you shouldn’t have that. Although there were journalists doing a wonderful job, others during the K regime in relation to the Herald didn’t seem capable of reporting the reality rather than the relato. The narrative was always there. They carried on doing great work on human rights, but the newspaper picked up the narrative without questioning it. That’s why I couldn’t carry on writing for them anymore: I compared them to the frogs swimming in water that is slowly rising in temperature and being boiled alive without realizing it. [/background]

I suspect this didn't help them at all either.

Wow. I hadn't heard. Despite the obvious weaknesses of the BAH (holy moley they had some blaring grammatical errors), this news is a real bummer. Years ago, it used to be a must read (especially those end of year summation issues), and I would go to multiple newsstands at the beach in the summer to find an issue. It has quite a history and used to have a decent level of influence and respect. Sorry to see the end of this era...hopefully it will return stronger and better.

November 4 is supposed to be the first day of the weekly "new" Herald. Let's see if it actually happens -- online or print or both. The paper's owners are ambiguous about what will happen.

Paper was a force to be reckoned with in its day:

http://revista.drclas.harvard.edu/book/profile-courage

dennisr:
As a US resident since 1979 I can atest to the truth of the above article's words..
However,Bob Cox still could escape and exile in the US.
Nisman under a supposed democratic gov't with a "really ? " free press as those who worked for and we who still read the Herald under Kristina discovered
Was not that lucky.Will we ever find out who and why Nisman was murdered ?

dennisr:
As a US resident since 1979 I can atest to the truth of the above article's words..
However,Bob Cox still could escape and exile in the US.
Nisman under a supposed democratic gov't with a "really ? " free press as those who worked for and we who still read the Herald under Kristina discovered
Was not that lucky.Will we ever find out who and why Nisman was murdered ?
Do not quite understand your point. Guess Cox could have just turned a blind eye and stood around with his thumb up his ass. BTW! What exactly have you done to further the Nisman thing other than bitch about the injustices on some forum?

dennisir;
More clearly put,I meant that what Bob Cox did was indeed personally brave and his actions were a great help in favor of the disappeared during the military government.Nonetheless,he was still able to save his life by being allowed to leave the country to exile in the US.I am not critizing him for that nor holding it against him
.I myself was held for 36 hours incognito in Moreno Police Headquarters in 1980.
Jacobo Timerman ,for example,was imprisioned in a "cell without number ","prisioner without name".
In the last few years 2013-15,the influence of Kirchnerism on some of the Herald staff and their writing was blatantantly obvious.Kristina's gov't although democratic in name was approaching an autocracy.Nisman was defying and challenging that gov't.He was not lucky enough to abe able to go into exile but was murdered first.Why and by whom? Will we ever know?
I am not an Argentine citizen.Although I probably should have gone to the public demonstrations demanding that justice be done for Nisman,I didn't go.
By the way,what have you yourself done?

Back