Tourist Apartments On Airbnb?

I've rented my apt out through bytargentina and have had positive remarks from past tenants with the exception of one (dry sauna kept burning out fuse when in use). Byt contacted me, we fixed the problem, but suggested we discount that month's rate, we agreed, and tenant ended up staying for 9 months. All in all, everyone was happy. GL on your search!

I rent my apartment in Italy through Airbnb and it has been a good experience. The nice thing for renters is , they verify that when they arrive is what was represented on the site. Then the owner gets paid. It almost eliminates fraud. Check the reviews as they are the most important. Have rented my Bs AS apartment a few times , and had good results as well. We have had Airbnb photographers shoot pics of the apartments , and are therefore Airbnb certified.

I rented my last apartment in BsAs from AirBNB (from May until July of 2012). The apartment was expensive by Argentine standards, but it was right in the heart of Palermo and was marketed as something a bit more high end. They asked me before I showed up what groceries I wanted (mostly beer in my case), and they had everything ready in my fridge for me when I arrived.

I think the deposit issue is a bit less of a problem since you are paying with your credit card on AirBNB and you typically have reviews to go on from other AirBNB users. If you have any issues when you arrive issue a chargeback with your CC provider.

But I put my deposit down on AirBNB and never had any issues.

Understand that people may be hesitant to show the apt to a complete stranger for security reasons (with regards to asking someone to go and check on the apt). If you go this route, I do suggest you have a good communication with the landlord beforehand but understand that if s/he refuses, it may not be b/c the apt is sketchy but because s/he doesn't want to open the door to a potential robber. Just a thought.

If you find a place with a bunch of reviews, it shouldn't be an issue. And as posted previously, I believe airbnb holds the deposit so you should be okay if there is an issue.

So, I'm guessing that Airbnb pays the owners (or beneficiary agencies or whomever) in pesos; I can't imagine that the payment systems they use are different from those used by any other online payment scheme. Thus, they are subject to the same currency controls as anything else. If they weren't, I'm sure Airbnb would be a well-established dollar access vehicle by now.

With that in mind, do those of you with experience in this area see a lot of cases of owners listing their apartments on Airbnb, but then trying to go "outside the system" to make a private deal in dollars?

I think AirBNB offers both parties some protection though, so I think many want to stay within the system.

https://www.airbnb.com/safety

"When you book through Airbnb, your property is covered for loss or damage due to theft or vandalism caused by an Airbnb guest for up to $50,000."

"All financial transactions are facilitated through our secure system, ensuring peace of mind for guests and hosts alike. We hold guest payment until at least 24 hours after check-in, to make sure guests are satisfied with their accommodations and to uphold host cancellation policies before payments are processed."

I'm not sure about others, but I paid in USD I believe, but that was before additional currency restrictions.

I'm not sure about others, but I paid in USD I believe, but that was before additional currency restrictions.

You might have paid in USD. I expect to pay in USD too. However, I am assuming that Airbnb remits the payments to the owners through Paypal or whatnot, and thus that this undergoes the usual conversion to ARS, with no option to do otherwise (for them).

Properties in Argentina are not covered by the Airbnb insurance, there's a list of excluded countries.

I rented for 10 days last year with BA4U. Its technically a gay apartment service, something that I overlooked, but obviously had no impact or importance whatsoever. The apartment that I rented was gorgeous and the staff was really top notch. My friend got sick and they went out of their way to be accommodating and helpful. Its a bit on the pricey side, but it was worth every penny. We were very happy with them.

http://www.ba4uapartments.com.ar/

You might have paid in USD. I expect to pay in USD too. However, I am assuming that Airbnb remits the payments to the owners through Paypal or whatnot, and thus that this undergoes the usual conversion to ARS, with no option to do otherwise (for them).
yes Paypal is the most comon way to get paid by AirBnB, but I would think that most if not all people renting through there are keeping the money in Dollars, I know I do, not sure how this would work if you had a AR Bank linked Paypal account, but mine is link to a US bank account were I transfer the money to. You can also I believe get paid by check by mail.

Back