Tourist killed in Plaza San Martin

I think only a few weeks ago somebody posted on baexpats about his camera being robbed in Plaza San Martin, we then discussed how sketchy the area is at night... sad news.

Yeah, it seems like the neighbours are saying that they think it was a regular group who work the area looking to rob people. They say it happened at 8.30 in the morning. I mean, i've been down there to take photos on a few occasions. Brings it home a bit.

It is very sad that this had to happen. My thoughts are with the victim's family.

It needs to be said, Plaza San Martin is not safe. It is right in front of Villa 31 and there is more than just a few people waiting in the area to rob tourists. The area needs to be avoided, especially at night.

Its also a reminder not to resist. Your life is so much more important than a camera or your passport. Everything else can be replaced.

I hope that the criminals are brought to justice, but they will most likely be minors, and thus, be let free with a slap on the wrist.

I hear this was in the morning... the area is just too close to villa 31, I personally do not like to walk those blocks on Libertador, but I had never heard of anyth happening during thje day there.

And this is why I never take my Canon DSLR out in this city. Really sad news.

Thoughts to the victims family in this case.

This really strikes home with me since I take the train from Retiro station out to the province around 23:00hs. Of course I take the bus around the park and jump off at the corner in front of the station then basically run to the station, but I have no other choice than to be in that area at that time. It too bad that even after this case and possibly more to come the police wont set up more guards to watch that area more closely. Its an ever increasing problem in this city and needs to be regarded.

Nice for the guests at the Marriott to wake up to.

"Hey, what's going on outside?"
"Er...how about some coffee?"

Thoughts with the family though. Everyone knows it's sketchy there at night, but for this to happen at that time... Really sad.

Back