Tourist visa expiring while doing residency visa

ausitina

Registered
Hi all,

I am Australian and in Argentina on a tourist visa which is due to expire on the 9th September 2024.

Today I completed the residency application on RADEX. I am married to an Argentinean. We got married in NZ in 2018.

My question is, do I need to leave and reenter or extend my tourist visa while Im doing the residency process? My primary concern is that I don't want to overstay. But I'm thinking that because my application via RADEX is in the migraciones official system I should be ok???

Also, am I likely to have an issue with paperwork because we were married in New Zealand and not here?

Thanks!

Hi all,

I am Australian and in Argentina on a tourist visa which is due to expire on the 9th September 2024.

Today I completed the residency application on RADEX. I am married to an Argentinean. We got married in NZ in 2018.

My question is, do I need to leave and reenter or extend my tourist visa while Im doing the residency process? My primary concern is that I don't want to overstay. But I'm thinking that because my application via RADEX is in the migraciones official system I should be ok???

Also, am I likely to have an issue with paperwork because we were married in New Zealand and not here?

Thanks!
Migraciones should have issued you a paper called "precaria" once they accepted your documents for residency. With this paper your immigration status is no longer tourist but rather precarious resident. Precaria paper must be renewed every 3 months until you get a decision in residency process.

You can stay in Argentina with precaria paper. And it is also possible to travel outside of Argentina with precaria but in this case your residency process is likely to be put on hold.

Last edited:
I think you’re fine. As long as you have submitted everything in Radex that should count.

You shouldn’t leave until you get the precaria, as I believe that invalidates your application.

And your NZ marriage certificate should be apostilled and translated to Spanish by an official translator. If you submitted already, Migraciones will email you to request changes etc.

From when I applied (back in 2020) I seem to recall there being something like as long as you’ve paid the Radex fee and have a receipt that’s good for your right to remain in Argentina. The precaria you’d need for opening a bank account etc

I've been in your exact situation and it's all good. Nothing to worry about. Once you have your precaria, traveling will be easier. But if you had to come and go between now and then you should be fine - with just some explanations and copies of the paperwork you have done so far with migraciones.

The caveat is do not be outside the country the day your precaria expires. As others have said, once you have your precaria, you are no longer a tourist and the need to leave or renew that tourist "visa" after 90 days disappears. You can come and go from Argentina while on precaria status. Doing so won't interrupt or put on hold your process, unless you don't get back in Argentine soil before the expiry date of the current precaria. They will not entertain a precaria renewal request if you are outside the country; the process will lapse and you will have to come back in and begin again from scratch.

The caveat is do not be outside the country the day your precaria expires. As others have said, once you have your precaria, you are no longer a tourist and the need to leave or renew that tourist "visa" after 90 days disappears. You can come and go from Argentina while on precaria status. Doing so won't interrupt or put on hold your process, unless you don't get back in Argentine soil before the expiry date of the current precaria. They will not entertain a precaria renewal request if you are outside the country; the process will lapse and you will have to come back in and begin again from scratch.
This is likely technically true and smart advice. In reality, I don't believe you would need to start the entire process over. I remember being in a similar situation and asked at an immigration office visit what would happen if I were to be outside the country on an expired precaria. The official told me it would be fine. Argentina has rules and then there is the reality. Not suggesting you be lax, but just don't worry too much about it necessarily. Confirm with immigration as things do change.

Remember that while you're on a precaria, you will most likely need a return or onward ticket to come back to Argentina.

Back