Tourist visa expiring

florita253

Registered
Hi Expats

Thank you so much for this website and the useful information I am seeing on it.

I am here on a tourist visa which expires in late April. In the worst case scenario, if I can’t get out on or before that day, I become illegal. In the best case scenario (I apply for and obtain a three-month extension) I would become illegal in late July. I understand in that situation I would have to lay low and then pay a fine at the airport when I can finally leave.

If there are no flights out of Argentina by then (and thus no way for the authorities to physically deport me), if the authorities found me with my visa expired, would they detain me until the flights opened up again, which of course could be weeks into the future?

Argentina tends to be very lax with immigration in comparison to just about any other country in the world, so you needn’t worry. I think that it says in the constitution here that nobody in Argentina is “illegal”, just irregular. You would usually just have to pay a (i believe) 4500 peso fine at the airport before you leave as you say, and you’re good to go. However due to these circumstances I would assume that Migraciones may well pardon you from this fine, though thats just a guess. However if there are no flights, I think its very unlikely that authorities would give you a hard time, given the current circumstances. So you don’t have to worry about immigration sending a team to track you down, this isn’t the United States. Just wait for the situation to blow over and then leave. Or if you need to get back kind of urgently, speak with your embassy. Thats my two cents

Argentina tends to be very lax with immigration in comparison to just about any other country in the world, so you needn’t worry. I think that it says in the constitution here that nobody in Argentina is “illegal”, just irregular. You would usually just have to pay a (i believe) 4500 peso fine at the airport before you leave as you say, and you’re good to go. However due to these circumstances I would assume that Migraciones may well pardon you from this fine, though thats just a guess. However if there are no flights, I think its very unlikely that authorities would give you a hard time, given the current circumstances. So you don’t have to worry about immigration sending a team to track you down, this isn’t the United States. Just wait for the situation to blow over and then leave. Or if you need to get back kind of urgently, speak with your embassy. Thats my two cents
I was frantically looking for flights yesterday and today but Im going to stay and see what happens. Apparently I can extend for another 3 months so that's a relief knowing this. Thanks for your reply Brit_In_BA!!

There is a decree that extends expiration. So, do not stress. You can send an email to renew it.
[email protected]
Take pictures of the mail. Send them pictures of your passport and entry stamp.
Thanks so much for this information Bajo_cero2. I'll definitely apply for the extension. The situation is way too stressful otherwise. Can I ask when should I send the email ie a week or 2 before expiration of my tourist visa which is mid April or asap?

Can I ask when should I send the email ie a week or 2 before expiration of my tourist visa which is mid April or asap?

I suggest you go to the migraciones website and see for yourself if they specify when the extension may be granted. Under normal circumstances (when applying in person) they grant the 90 day extensions no more than ten days prior to the expiration of the current tourist permit.

Thanks so much for this information Bajo_cero2. I'll definitely apply for the extension. The situation is way too stressful otherwise. Can I ask when should I send the email ie a week or 2 before expiration of my tourist visa which is mid April or asap?
Who knows?. Nobody. Just in case send it a week before.

In kind of a similar situation with my temporary DNI expiring in April. Any idea if the renewal process can be handled online? Any info would be helpful! Thanks!

I suggest you go to the migraciones website and see for yourself if they specify when the extension may be granted. Under normal circumstances (when applying in person) they grant the 90 day extensions no more than ten days prior to the expiration of the current tourist permit.
[/QUOTe
Who knows?. Nobody. Just in case send it a week before.
OK, got it. I looked on migration website and found it hard to navigate and find the answer. Thanks for your help!!

OK, got it. I looked on migration website and found it hard to navigate and find the answer. Thanks for your help!!
I was at immigration before the quarentine talking with the agents who deals with this.
The problem is the electronic signature. They can logg in at the computers at the Immigration building. The whole system is not design to work remotely. This is why later there was a resolution where they extended everything automaticaly.

Back