Tourist Visa

caitij

Registered
Hey everyone!

So I've been for just about 6 months now and did one crossing to Uruguay to get my visa renewed....Im planning on now doing it by just visiting the immigration offices but I am wondering if it is a problem that I plan on doing this for the next year. I have heard Im not actually allowed to stay longer then 6 months without applying for residency or another visa but I dont have that option because I am not a student. Any advice? suggestions?

Plenty of threads deal with the subject:
http://baexpats.org/topic/23012-renewing-tourist-visa-at-migraciones/

You can either stay under the radar and pay the 300 pesos fine when you leave Argentina, or you can go every 3 months to Colonia.
It's not recommended to go to the Migration office.

While it may be useful to have a current tourist visa if you want to rent a hotel room or a car or get a CDI, it really isn't necessary just to "stay" in Argentina.

You can only get an extension of your tourist visa once a year at migraciones.

If you go to migaciones to get a new tourist visa they may write "ultima prorroga" in you passport. Even if they don't, you will not be able to go to Uruguay and return the same day before the extension expires. The only way to avoid a fine at that point would be to leave on the 90th day, stay overnight in Uruguay, and return the following day. If you return before the 90 day extension has expired you may only be granted the number of days remaining on the extension.

hoping i can add a quick follow up question- i understand that we don't need to keep renewing the tourist visa to 'stay', but if the ultimate goal is to eventually obtain a work visa/marry an argentine/some other legitimate visa/stay for several years, is there any possibility that not renewing it every three months could impact that ultimate goal in any way??

hoping i can add a quick follow up question- i understand that we don't need to keep renewing the tourist visa to 'stay', but if the ultimate goal is to eventually obtain a work visa/marry an argentine/some other legitimate visa/stay for several years, is there any possibility that not renewing it every three months could impact that ultimate goal in any way??

No. The immigration law looks for you get residency. So, as soon as you don t get a deportation order, you can always heal your irregular situation. The best way to get a deportation order is going to the building of Migraciones or applying for a residency.
Another valid option is to go straight for citizenship.
Regards

Thanks!
so irregular situation=not leaving every three months and letting the tourist visa lapse? I was thinking that applying for work visa required a 'clean' passport. good to know.

Doesn't going for citizenship require being here for two-three years first?

I will tell you that with my work visa, they did require photocopies of each page of my passport, I was required to be in the country in good standing (ie, not irregular and on a current/active visa) and they did happen to ask me about my 1 overstay (which was by just a few days) and wanted to know how/why it had happened. YMMV.

Back